Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

My EX FICO score is 730, TU FICO 720, CK Vantage shows 667 and 665 from TU and EQ. That 60-70 point difference has held for at least a year while both scores have been generally increasing. I have a long credit history, with some of my cards going back 25 years. No derogs in the past 7 years, about 37% util (33k bal on 90k limit), about 26k of other unsecured debt, and one HP this year, two last year. Obviously it is the huge debt load that is suppressing the score, but I'd like to see Vantage close the gap a bit. We recently got a Citi with a 10k limit and 0% BT on my wife's account and am transfering that amount from my balances to hers. I expect all my scores to rise with that, but won't know for a few weeks or so.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 331 of 338
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
From my experience, credit karma is extremely accurate. It has my Vantage Score 3.0 at 767 and my FICO score 8 from Discover is 766. Both are TransUnion data. The only difference is that Creditkarma updates their scores more frequently. It seems like most people who see the biggest discrepancies are ones who have poor credit. I don't even understand how people get below 700 if you pay on time. I've only had credit for about 6 months.

Just checked mine today and Discover reported 839 while Credit Karma reported 825, so granted it's not a huge difference, but it's not as close as yours is showing. 

Message 332 of 338
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:
From my experience, credit karma is extremely accurate. It has my Vantage Score 3.0 at 767 and my FICO score 8 from Discover is 766. Both are TransUnion data. The only difference is that Creditkarma updates their scores more frequently. It seems like most people who see the biggest discrepancies are ones who have poor credit. I don't even understand how people get below 700 if you pay on time. I've only had credit for about 6 months.

Just checked mine today and Discover reported 839 while Credit Karma reported 825, so granted it's not a huge difference, but it's not as close as yours is showing. 

Yes, there's no real reason for them to be close.   In the same way that the different models of FICO (8, 9, Bankcard, Auto etc) may show small or large differences, CK uses a different model and so will produce a different result.   This happens with FICO: as we know here, if say your TU FICO 8 is great, but your issuer pulls EX FICO 8 (or EX FICO 8 Bankcard etc) and gets a less good number, too bad for you....

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.

Message 333 of 338
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, there's no real reason for them to be close.   In the same way that the different models of FICO (8, 9, Bankcard, Auto etc) may show small or large differences, CK uses a different model and so will produce a different result.   This happens with FICO: as we know here, if say your TU FICO 8 is great, but your issuer pulls EX FICO 8 (or EX FICO 8 Bankcard etc) and gets a less good number, too bad for you....

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.

I understand that many apartment management companies use the VantageScores in their leasing decisions. In that context, they are not "FAKO."

Credit Karma using VantageScores to tout credit products and to advise consumers on credit decisions, then yes, I agree on the "FAKO" label.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 334 of 338
Kforce
Valued Contributor

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used  is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.

+100

It is just one of 50+ credit score models. 

It is not fake.

Message 335 of 338
MikeGolf
Established Member

1. CK
2. TU 509 EQ 501
3. EX 600 TU 606 TU 597
4. 3 CRA subscription from myFico
5. NFCU goRewards
6. I knew my scores were in the gutter, but many accounts werent being reported as paid. Many of the derogs on the FAKO werent existent in myfico scoring model.

Message 336 of 338
CreditRebuilder2020
Frequent Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

My EX FICO score is 730, TU FICO 720, CK Vantage shows 667 and 665 from TU and EQ. That 60-70 point difference has held for at least a year while both scores have been generally increasing. I have a long credit history, with some of my cards going back 25 years. No derogs in the past 7 years, about 37% util (33k bal on 90k limit), about 26k of other unsecured debt, and one HP this year, two last year. Obviously it is the huge debt load that is suppressing the score, but I'd like to see Vantage close the gap a bit. We recently got a Citi with a 10k limit and 0% BT on my wife's account and am transfering that amount from my balances to hers. I expect all my scores to rise with that, but won't know for a few weeks or so.

I have a legitimate 100 point difference in my FICOS vs. Credit Karma scores. It's very frustrating. Right now my EQ/TU are 634/628 -- My CK Vantage has me at a 508/538. I also am holding a few larger balances right now, my FICOS dipped a bit, however my CreditKarma scores just plummeted. They dropped 45 points to the 508/538 range. 

I've been rebuilding for two years now and carry the occasional balances. Have a few collections, REPO in my history, but for two years it's been straight on-time payments on everything, including my student loans. 

Really bothers me and I hope lenders continue to use FICO, because in my experience, it's the more accurate score and I don't know why my vantage has such a staggering lower number. 

X1 VISA SIG $15,500/ AMEX Gold / Petal 1 $3600 / Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $3K / VENMO Visa $900 / Verizon Visa $2K / Apple Card $1500 SL / Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa $500 / WALGREENS Store $1K / Amazon Store $5000 SL/ Discover IT Chrome $2500K / BP Prime Rewards VISA $4350 / PayPal MC $3500 / BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1K / Cap One Savor One $1200 / Cap One QS1 $950 / Blaze MC $2250 / Credit One $850 / Credit One AMEX $1200 / OpenSky $600 / AvantCard $1000 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated) $400 / eBay MC $750
FEB '22 EX: 698 EQ: 700 TU: 713 | UTL: 23% | Total Credit Limit: $54000
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED NOVEMBER 2021) | NEW GOAL SCORE: 725 for ALL FICOs
Message 337 of 338
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so CK has me at EQ: 756 and TU 747. My score for EX on freecreditreport.com is 692

And my score on Discover scorecard is 755.
I want to app for an Amex but have no clue what my true EX score is? And, would a score from 

Myfico be more accurate of an EX score than freecreditreport? Its all so confusing to me! Ive worked 

sooo hard on my report for the past 3 years, starting with a 505 score and now in 700s. Started out 

with that lousy quicksilver that after 3 years, they still dont want to give me a CLI. Which is fine, as I 

have many other cards with amazing limits. But still looking for that true, or pretty close to true EX score

before I ever app with Amex, as I know that is the score they use! I didnt read thru all 34 pages so this may 

have been answered. Thanks for any help! 

Message 338 of 338
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.