Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal and Ohio State Tax Liens - Released but Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Federal and Ohio State Tax Liens - Released but Equifax

Seems about 9 days is the norm now on these, my last two from EQ were on a schedule of 9 days.

Get the expungement letters in your hand.

Confirm that the public records have been expunged at your local recording office

And then we will be on for the next round of getting them off the reports.

If your state sends the letters to the CRAs, I expect TU will remove quickly and EQ won't remove until you send them another politely worded letter.

Message 11 of 21
BuckiRob
Established Member

Question Inverse,

If IRS debt from income tax is discharged via Chapter 7  is there any way to get liens released from the IRS on my home?   Or am I stuck waiting until they expire?

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BuckiRob

When was the lien filed? Before BK filing or during BK?

If before, you are stuck with it until it comes off, you enter into an agreement or you pay it.

If during, and it was incorrectly filed and you may have some luck getting it off.

Message 13 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@BuckiRob

When was the lien filed? Before BK filing or during BK?

If before, you are stuck with it until it comes off, you enter into an agreement or you pay it.

If during, and it was incorrectly filed and you may have some luck getting it off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a CH7 can wipe out tax debt; if it's uncollectible and therefore unenforceable, wouldn't a NFTL - Withdrawl be obtainable?

Have to admit I know next to nothing about BK's let alone tax debt abated by a BK from a credit reporting perspective... I looked at a CH13 once with my old tax debt but never got past the front-end information TBH.

        
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but a CH7 can wipe out tax debt; if it's uncollectible and therefore unenforceable, wouldn't a NFTL - Withdrawl be obtainable?

While the tax debt may be discharged, the lien itself is not discharged when filed before the BK.

withdrawal will not be obtainable without a payment agreement or payment

Message 15 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

While the tax debt may be discharged, the lien itself is not discharged when filed before the BK.

withdrawal will not be obtainable without a payment agreement or payment

The lien is associated with a given debt; if the debt is gone, the lien is unenforceable as I understand it much like the SOL of 10 years past the assessment date; lien goes poof as the debt itself is no longer enforceable.

Does it explicitly not work this way with BK's?

        
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:
The lien is associated with a given debt; if the debt is gone, the lien is unenforceable as I understand it much like the SOL of 10 years past the assessment date; lien goes poof as the debt itself is no longer enforceable.

Does it explicitly not work this way with BK's?

The lien does not go poof.

I'm not a tax attorney or an accountant and I don't play one on the internet, I'm just a guy that stood his ground.

I do have an excellent tax attorney/accountant.

While his is not likely to post or even visit here, google is your friend...

Try this search, its well documented: "affect of bankruptcy on tax lien"

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious, how did you get an expungement letter from the State of Ohio? I have a lien that was filed that was released and I never paid anything into the State. They sent me a letter that it was "satisfied, canceled, or released."

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to file the lien release with the court house. You must call the Ohio agency that holds the lien release and ask what the filing fee is and then send the paperwork and file it at the courthouse via mail or in person. Once you have done this you can send the paperwork to the credit bureas.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Equifax to the CFPB and upload your receipt of payment. The lien will disappear within 15 days. I disputed unknown addresses Equifax and they refused to remove them until i reported them to the government.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.