Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few accounts paid on time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: alwaysRe: Few accounts paid on time

@Anonymous wrote:

The "reasons" can make sense - on some level, but a lot of the time they don't. I have literally had positive and negative "reasons" that directly opposed each other - positive saying, as an example, that revolving credit usage was low and having a positive impact, and I'd ALSO have that my revolving credit usage was too high and having a negative impact.

Go figure.

I can find reasons for both (say, I paid off one card, so that had low usage, but didn't pay another off with a higher balance), but the way the "reasons" are stated is silly as they would say exactly the opposite things.

My understanding is that the positive reason statements are a completely different animal than the negative reason statements. 

The negative reason statements are truly generated by the scoring algorithm itself -- if you see them then in theory it means that the algorithm really deducted 1 or more points from your maximum score because of that reason.

The positive reason statements, in contrast, are the opinion of some programmer who wrote the software surrounding the credit monitoring product you are using -- they represent his belief about what looks good about your profile.  The actual scoring algorithm (FICO 8, FICO 04, FICO 9 Bankcard Enhanced, etc.) is not generating those reason statements, however.

That's my understanding at any rate.  Revelate or Thomas Thumb or others can comment better.

Message 11 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thing with reason codes.  I think that many people assume that if one is present that whatever it says must be significantly impacting their score.  While surely there are reason codes that may be pointing to reasons that a score is 50-75 points down, such as "you recently missed a payment" there are plenty of others that perhaps are only impacting a score a little bit, so it may not be necessary to sweat each and every one all too much.

How about no score impact? Smiley Happy I get the "too many cards reporting balances" reason, even when my score doesn't care that a second card reports a balance.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

How about no score impact? Smiley Happy I get the "too many cards reporting balances" reason, even when my score doesn't care that a second card reports a balance.

Excellent example and you are very correct.

Great point in the post from CGID above as well where he talks about the difference between positive and negative reason codes.  I understand this topic exactly as he does.  Rev schooled me many months ago on the irrelevance of positive reason codes and that the negative ones are all that definitely matter with respect to scoring.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.