cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Score Dropped Balance Decrease?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico Score Dropped Balance Decrease?

Oh, that’s interesting. I signed my father-in-law up for myFico at $40/month (because Experian was broken and wouldn’t accept any usernames) and he only gets to see his scores once a month. I must’ve got a bad offer.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

$40.00 is hefty, my subscription is available on their website https://www1.myfico.com/products/fico-credit-monitoring

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So just to be clear, if my Amex is reporting to CK on 3/29, I should leave 1-8.9% or up to 29%? Util (20000x8.9%=1780) maximum on my Amex to get those points back on 4/29? I'm planning on using my Amazon Chase card until May, should I report $5-10 on the Amex, and just keep the Chase under 8.9% (8000x8.9%=712) or 29% for maximum point gain?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under 8.9% for maximum gain and only 1 account with 8.9% or less, while the other(s) report a $0 balance.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Brutal!

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh, that’s interesting. I signed my father-in-law up for myFico at $40/month (because Experian was broken and wouldn’t accept any usernames) and he only gets to see his scores once a month. I must’ve got a bad offer.

If dad is on a MyFICO subscription, he should be seeing these sorts of alerts showing FICO 8 changes throughout the month as card statements print and report. The full credit report with all scores can only be pulled monthly ( quarterly for my subscription). How many cards does dad have reporting?  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Had no idea that 0 across board is that bad, should've let Amazon Chase report before paying off Amex.

Note that in addition to reporting your statement balance, Chase will report zero whenever you pay to zero. If you feel you need to, you can get a Chase card to continuously report a positive balance by allowing a charge to post before paying your statement balance (which still avoids interest). Having said that, if your aim is to have a single card reporting a positive balance, it's easier to do it on a non-Chase card. What Chase is doing is a good thing. You may as well have it work for you rather than against you. Smiley Happy

As noted, if your reports and scores are in good shape, you don't necessarily need to do AZEO all the time. The time to do it is if your scores are low or if you're about to apply for important credit. You might also want to do it if you want to learn how various payment behaviors affect your score. You'd bring your balances to AZEO, then try things like increasing balances or letting more cards report positive balances.

I think you already realize this, but if your utilization causes a score dip that you find to be unacceptable, it can be fixed fairly soon. Understanding that avoids panicking unnecessarily.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio, Only reason why I am switching over from Amex to Chase is because till the month of May Im going to be getting 5% back on restaurant which is 75% of my spending. I also want to show some spending and build some history with Chase as Its only an 8 month old card and I only used to use it for amazon 0-100$ a month if that.

Im sure after my balance on this card reports this month, the points I lost for taking everything to 0 will bounce back partially.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Image-1.jpg

Points are back, 1 card reporting under 7% util rest of the cards 0 balance (maybe two? Used macys card, paid off right away, however notification of inactive account is now active showed up).

Just glad points are back, thank you all for advice.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.