Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score dropped 35 points after collection removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico score dropped 35 points after collection removal

I had a collection account age off my credit report and the minute it came off, my fico score dropped 35 points. NOTHING ELSE ON MY CREDIT REPORT CHANGED. I knew when the collection was coming off so kept a close eye on my Fico score that day. This was my only collection account and I thought my score would go up, but instead it went down. To make things worse, I paid off my American Express and I thought my score would go up since I decreased usage by 10% (my usage is now 40%) Instead my score dropped another 13 points (on experian). nothing else changed on my report that day. I’m trying to buy a house and I thought my score would go to excellent, instead I’m now in subprime lending. I’m doing everything these articles say to do to raise my credit score, yet mine keeps going down. What am I doing wrong and what is wrong with these score algorithms (and why is this legal) ?!?
3 REPLIES 3
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Fico score dropped 35 points after collection removal

Did the whole tradeline get removed? If the the account was removed entirely it may have decreased the average age of your accounts, payment history, etc.. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question above.  Also, aside from that one collection do you have any other negative payment history items on your CR (late payments and such)?

Your score did not decrease from paying utilization down from 50% to 40%.  If it dropped, it was due to something else completely.

Message 3 of 4
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a collection account age off my credit report and the minute it came off, my fico score dropped 35 points. NOTHING ELSE ON MY CREDIT REPORT CHANGED.  

I have questions.

Which fico score dropped, and where are you seeing it?

Was it a collection account, as noted on your credit report, or was it a tradeline that had been sent to collections?

You mentioned "NOTHING ELSE ON MY CREDIT REPORT CHANGED.  " and then you later say an American Express payment.  How much later after this "collection account" removal was that?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.