cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuations in fico score from day to day?

tag
pdubbs79
Established Member

Fluctuations in fico score from day to day?

Yesterday my FICO score bumped out to a 770 after a late payment was removed.  However, today, it fell by 4 points for no apparent reason.  My creditors did not report any new information.  Does fico scoring change randomly from day to day?

This is what they list as the reasons...none of these seem to be new issues.

Number of accounts with delinquency. 

Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high

Length of time revolving accounts have been established

Length of time accounts have been established.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: Fluctuations in fico score from day to day?

Was this from TU by chance?

Message 2 of 5
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

There are elements of your FICO score that will changed based solely on time. These items can affect your score even in no new updates were posted. Things like age of an account or the amount of time since you last made a late payment, are not dependent on an update from a creditor, but on data that already exists at the credit bureau. 

The changes are never random, but can be based on less apparent things.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 3 of 5
pdubbs79
Established Member

It was just strange because the change happened a day after my score was bumped up by 40 points from having a late payment kindly removed.  I jumped up to 770 then a day later, it fell back to a 766 citing the exact same things prior to my score jumping up to 770.  

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pdubbs79 wrote:

It was just strange because the change happened a day after my score was bumped up by 40 points from having a late payment kindly removed.  I jumped up to 770 then a day later, it fell back to a 766 citing the exact same things prior to my score jumping up to 770.  

The scores do indeed change daily potentially, but small ups and downs really should be ignored by any rational person.  The reason codes are generally fixed and without substantial changes to your files, don't really change much but little bits in the margin can cause scores to fluctuate and they're too small for many of the monitoring solutions to pickup.  Even I don't have time to review my reports daily and try to pick out the minuiate and I'm way more invested in this than the vast majority of humanity, even compared to people on this forum.

Don't sweat it, getting the late payment removed is a fantastic thing from a score perspective, that's what to focus on and the rest can be safely ignored.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.