Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Xmas Equifax gave me a lump of coal UPDATE

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

For Xmas Equifax gave me a lump of coal UPDATE

Here it is, 10pm and I get a myFico alert that that there was a score change in my Equifax file.  I log on and the alert is to notify me that my balance on my Penfed account droppd from $190 to $138. This "triggered" a 5 point score drop

I know that the balance decrease didnt cause the score drop. No other obvious file changes. Something must have dropped off somewhere.

It would SURE BE NICE if myFico actually gives us the REAL REASON why our score moves ( i know ..... they only report what the CBs report yada yada yada )

UPDATE  2 accounts with zero balances now showed balances of

< $100 each.  Mystery solved.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: For Xmas Equifax gave me a lump of coal

AMEN!!!

I got the same "gift" from EX..

Mine was 3 points but still... It is extremely annoying that we don't get the actual reason why...

Bah Humbug! 

xmasGrinch.gif

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Here it is, 10pm and I get a myFico alert that that there was a score change in my Equifax file.  I log on and the alert is to notify me that my balance on my Penfed account droppd from $190 to $138. This "triggered" a 5 point score drop

I know that the balance decrease didnt cause the score drop. No other obvious file changes. Something must have dropped off somewhere.

It would SURE BE NICE if myFico actually gives us the REAL REASON why our score moves ( i know ..... they only report what the CBs report yada yada yada )

At least you're able to recognize that the balance paydown had nothing to do with your score drop and that MF alerts don't have to go hand in hand with score changes.  Unfortunately it's impossible for MF to provide you with a reason for a score change, as there are a ton of different things going on with your file at all times.  So many of them like aging factors, accounts dropping off, inquiries becoming unscoreable and many others aren't alertable changes.

Message 3 of 7
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Good luck figuring it out, Equifax is the worst. They’re the only bureau I ever have problems with.

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

At least you're able to recognize that the balance paydown had nothing to do with your score drop and that MF alerts don't have to go hand in hand with score changes.  Unfortunately it's impossible for MF to provide you with a reason for a score change, as there are a ton of different things going on with your file at all times.  So many of them like aging factors, accounts dropping off, inquiries becoming unscoreable and many others aren't alertable changes.

What is annoying is that I pay myFICO $240 a year but I usually have to wait til my weekly CreditKarma refresh to look for answers. Timing is ok for this ding.  Penfed has alredy done their SPs ahead of Jan '19 quarterly offers.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

What is annoying is that I pay myFICO $240 a year but I usually have to wait til my weekly CreditKarma refresh to look for answers. Timing is ok for this ding.  Penfed has alredy done their SPs ahead of Jan '19 quarterly offers.

It sounds like perhaps you may want to consider saving yourself $220-$230 of that and go with free or ultra-low cost options like many (myself included) do.

Message 6 of 7
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@CashBackQueen wrote:

Good luck figuring it out, Equifax is the worst. They’re the only bureau I ever have problems with.

Equifax is the worst for me, too! They're my cleanest report (no collections), yet they're my lowest score by like almost 20 points! How can TU and EX be higher when they both have a medical collection? They're always the slowest to update as well. I find that EX is usually the best for me.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.