Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For all of those have piggy backed in the past please review and comment

tag
SSH0126
Established Contributor

For all of those have piggy backed in the past please review and comment

I was wondering if you have been added to a credit card or two how many points did you see your credit score go up(instantly)?

How long had the credit card been used ie 5yrs,2yrs,10yrs????

Thanks... 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: For all of those have piggy backed in the past please review and comment

SSH0126 wrote:

I was wondering if you have been added to a credit card or two how many points did you see your credit score go up(instantly)?

How long had the credit card been used ie 5yrs,2yrs,10yrs????

Thanks... 

Moderator hat on: Any answer advocating or suggesting piggybacking would be in violation of our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair. Specifically, piggybacking, in the commercial sense, is illegal and unethical. Now there's nothing wrong with talking about how you got added to a close relative's CC to help build instant history. We talk about AUs on here all the time. But there are firms out there that break the law by selling TLs and that artifically inflates the credit viewed by banks come lending time.

Moderator hat off: IMHO, don't do it. Try to build credit on your own. I came on here two years ago with low 500 FICO scores with no CCs and built up to the mid 700s earlier this year without being added as an AU. It is easy to do it on your own. If you have a spouse that has a super long history with a clean CC, then I'd say go for it too. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Just note that newer versions of the FICO score exclude "piggybacking" from scoring, because banks have been taking a hit finacially. Somehow they are able to track your address and name in relation to the cardholder's. Banks are also doing their own research at app time.

Message 2 of 6
SSH0126
Established Contributor

I am am speaking of a relative. Thanks!
Message 3 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

If a card has a history that is longer than your average age of accounts, that will help with your average age. If it's older than your oldest account, then it will become your "new" oldest account...and that helps.

The account must have a clean payment history.

If the account holder revolves a balance, that may hurt you...unless it is a tiny balance. If they pay in full each month, that is good...but if they don't do it BEFORE the statement cuts each month, then their balance will show as your balance and can negatively affect your utilization percentage.

My husband and I are authorized users on each other's cards. We were also authorized users on an AmEx that our son has. He pays in full each month. He has great credit, but (like most of America) he doesn't pay his balance off until he gets his statement in the mail. Therefore, his balance showed on our credit reports and was calculated into our utilization. We had ourselves removed as authorized users.

It's tough to advise you how many points you could earn. There are too many moving parts to a FICO score. My husband and I each gained a few points by naming each other as authorized users. If you now have pretty high utilization, and this lowered your utilization dramatically, you could see a pretty good rise rather quickly.

I am a true believer in authorized user status. We have our grown daughters as authorized users on one of our cards. Our 16 y/o currently carries 4-5 of our cards. We believe it's part of helping them learn responsible use of credit. And, believe me...when I know one of my cards is reporting on someone else's credit report, it gives me added incentive to make sure there is no balance.

If you are interested in posting some details, we may be better able to advise.

Message Edited by LynetteM on 12-02-2009 01:44 PM
Message 4 of 6
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Thanks lynetteM!!! I will speak with the person on tommorrow and then post what we decide...
Message 5 of 6
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Well that person said that they pretty much closed down all cards but was about to open one. they said they would add me on that one but im thinking that wont help because its not a long history..If my score is low would it hurt my chances of getting an approval say  if I did a secured loan thru my bank??? a month or so before I purchased the car....I plan get a car around 10k put half the amount of the car, plus the tax tags and down on the day i get the car...score is in 500's..no cosigner..never been financed..my hubsand has however but his score is in the low to mid 600's.Please help someone...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.