Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeCreditReport.com Scores vs. Actual Scores

tag
FICOnater2007
New Contributor

FreeCreditReport.com Scores vs. Actual Scores

Today we had our credit report pulled by a mortgage broker (quite a nice chap!) in the process of getting pre-approval on a home loan.  The report they pulled had different numbers than those my wife and I have been getting from www.FreeCreditReport.com .

Okay, so here are the results of my scores:

Free Credit Report Scores (as of 7/22/07):
EX - 696
EQ - 631
TU - 685

Actual Credit Report Scores (as of 7/27/07):
EX - 684 (listed as FAIR ISSAC SCORE 2) ----> 12 points lower! Smiley Sad
EQ - 629 (listed as BEACON 5.0 SCORE) ----> 2 points lower! Smiley Sad
TU - 669 (listed as CLASSIC SCORE) ----> 16 points lower! Smiley Mad

And my wife's scores:

Free Credit Report Scores (as of 7/27/07):
EX - 656
EQ - 639
TU - 656

EX - 630 (listed as FAIR ISSAC SCORE 2) ----> 26 points lower! Smiley Mad
EQ - 622 (listed as BEACON 5.0 SCORE) ----> 17 points lower! Smiley Mad
TU - 657 (listed as CLASSIC SCORE) ----> 1 point higher?! Smiley Surprised

Why? Why? Why are they different?!!  Granted, the tri-merge I ran on myself was 5-days ago, but my wife's numbers I ran THIS MORNING. Plus, I've spent a great deal more time on my credit score lately than working on my wife's and mine aren't nearly as "off" as hers.

FICOnater2007
"Just shoot me..."
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FreeCreditReport.com Scores vs. Actual Scores

@FICOnater2007 wrote:
Today we had our credit report pulled by a mortgage broker (quite a nice chap!) in the process of getting pre-approval on a home loan. The report they pulled had different numbers than those my wife and I have been getting from www.FreeCreditReport.com .
Okay, so here are the results of my scores:
Free Credit Report Scores (as of 7/22/07):
EX - 696
EQ - 631
TU - 685
EX - 684 (listed as FAIR ISSAC SCORE 2) ----> 12 points lower! Smiley Sad
EQ - 629 (listed as BEACON 5.0 SCORE) ----> 2 points lower! Smiley Sad
TU - 669 (listed as CLASSIC SCORE) ----> 16 points lower! Smiley Mad
And my wife's scores:
Free Credit Report Scores (as of 7/27/07):
EX - 656
EQ - 639
TU - 656
EX - 630 (listed as FAIR ISSAC SCORE 2) ----> 26 points lower! Smiley Mad
EQ - 622 (listed as BEACON 5.0 SCORE) ----> 17 points lower! Smiley Mad
TU - 657 (listed as CLASSIC SCORE) ----> 1 point higher?! Smiley Surprised
Why? Why? Why are they different?!! Granted, the tri-merge I ran on myself was 5-days ago, but my wife's numbers I ran THIS MORNING. Plus, I've spent a great deal more time on my credit score lately than working on my wife's and mine aren't nearly as "off" as hers.
FICOnater2007
"Just shoot me..."

The scores from FreeCreditReport are FAKOs - I believe they use the Plus scoring formula (developed by Experian). It's actually surprising that those FAKO scores were fairly close to your FICO scores.

"Fair Isaac Score 2", "Beacon 5.0", and "Classic" are all FICO scoring formulas.

As you may know, you can purchase all three FICO scores from MyFico. You can also purchase your EQ FICO score from the main Equifax website.

Message Edited by Revike on 08-05-2007 09:17 AM
Message 2 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FreeCreditReport.com Scores vs. Actual Scores

Message 3 of 4
FICOnater2007
New Contributor

Bring us your non-FICO score experiences! (was Re: FreeCreditReport.com Scores vs. Actual Scores)

An update,

I called the people at FreeCreditReport.com and complained about the differences between the ACTUAL FICO scores and the garbage scores they gave me.  Supposaidly a "trouble ticket" was issued by a rep named "Cindy" and someone was supposed to call me back in 24 hours -- that was Monday 7/30/07.

After three days and no calls, I called them back on Thursday 8/2/07 and proceeded to "kick some tail".  I griped and complained about not getting a call back and about the inaccuracy of their scores; but I was polite and did not curse (not that I wasn't tempted...!) Smiley Tongue .

My main argument was not the TU and EQ scores -- but the EXPERIAN score since FreeCreditReport.com represents themselves as EX.  You can read my earlier post showing the EX score from them was off on both mine and my wife's CR's.

Well, the chuckle-head Smiley Indifferent I got on the phone, possessing only a partial command of the English language, wanted me to log onto their website and file a dispute on my CR. I told her I didn't need to dispute anything except the pitiful service and score they provided from their own parent company. This discussion went nowhere so I gave her as much grief as possible and then asked for a manager.  Once the manager answered, I decided to go ahead and just CANCEL my wife's and my own "Triple Advantage" service which was $12.95/mo times the two of us because I found their customer service to be "disgraceful, deplorable, unnacceptable and unprofessional". I had been on Triple Advantage since April, and my wife since June.

The manager had no excuse for why the FCR.com version of the EX report was different from that of their parent company. She just said, "well each CRA using a different scoring model..."  My reply: "Hmm.., but you guys ARE EXPERIAN, so how can you blame it on differences in scoring?"

She couldn't really answer this question so I insisted they give us a refund. I ended up getting a total of $51.80 back, which amounts to basically 4 months of service.

While I am normally an easy going person, I must say that I really enjoyed giving them a piece of my mind -- and have since started purchasing my report from MyFICO.com .

I would not recommend FCR.com to anyone. Their customer service is lacking and their versions of the scores from the big three CRA's are totally bogus.

FICOnater2007

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.