cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 1 to 0 inquiries on a clean/young/thin file

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

From 1 to 0 inquiries on a clean/young/thin file

My only scorable inquiry at TransUnion aged to 1 year today. I did get a myFICO TU score change alert from my FICO Premier subscription.

All 9 TU FICO scores went up +6 to +12 points. These are the full results with score factor changes where they occurred.

(3 accounts on file. 1 closed loan, 2 open cards. 2 years total credit history: 1 year with a loan followed by 1 year with 2 cards.)

Previous Report

12/10/2019

• AoOA: 2 yr 0 mo
  • AAoA: 1 yr 4 mo
  • AoYA: 1 yr 0 mo

Current Report

12/20/19

What changed?

• 1 remaining scorable inquiry ages to 1 year. Now at 0 scorable inquiries.

• PAYMENT HISTORY: EXCEPTIONAL
  • AMOUNT OF DEBT: VERY GOOD
  • CREDIT HISTORY LENGTH: POOR
  • AMOUNT OF NEW CREDIT: VERY GOOD
  • CREDIT MIX: VERY GOOD

12/10

Δ

12/20

FICO 8

TU

+9

[Change]

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, Short revolving credit history

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, Too many inquiries last 12 months

FICO 9

TU

+8

[Change]

Short credit history, Too many accounts with balances, No recent loan activity, Short revolving credit history

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, Short revolving credit history

FICO 4

TU

+6

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Recently opened new credit account, High revolving balances

FICO Bankcard 8

TU

+10

[Change]

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, Seeking credit

FICO Bankcard 9

TU

+8

[Change]

Short credit history, Too many accounts with balances, No recent loan activity, Short revolving credit history

FICO Auto 8

TU

+11

[Change]

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, No recent auto loan activity

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Too many accounts with balances, Seeking credit

FICO Auto 9

TU

+12

[Change]

FICO Auto 4

TU

+6

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Recently opened new credit account, High revolving balances

FICO Bankcard 4

TU

+6

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: From 1 to 0 inquiries on a clean/young/thin file

Nice datapoint Cassie!

One big question though, looking at FICO 9: reason codes all moved around, did you have any revolving balance changes in between the two data points as well? 

FICO 8 and earlier look pretty straight forward, but that FICO 9 datapoint is mighty curious in the flip of no recent loan activity and accounts with balances.  I still think you should play some reindeer games with a small loan whenever you next make applications hah, interesting to see it's a penalty on every single Transunion model though I don't think recent loan activity applies to open loans on all of them necessarily think closed loans suffice some.

        
Message 2 of 37
Established Contributor

Great info.  Do you know if the points you list for the inquiry aging 1 year are the same points lost when the INQ hit?

FICO 8 as of 05/15/20
FICO 9 as of 05/15/20
MTG... as of 05/22/20
AoOA - 24Y3M | AoYA – 0Y9M | AAoA – 11Y11M (EQ), 11Y10M (EX & TU)
Open: 10 CC (2 store cards) | 1 PLOC | 1 MTG loan | 1 Auto loan
Closed: 1 MTG loan | 1 Auto loan | (EQ) 2 CC, (EX & TU) 1 CC
INQ: (EQ) 1/24, (TU) 1/24, (EX) 1/12 & 2/24
Message 3 of 37
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

Great info.  Do you know if the points you list for the inquiry aging 1 year are the same points lost when the INQ hit?

Unfortunately, I can't tell for TU scores.

Last year I was able to see EQ 8 drop 20pts(!) from 750 to 730, and EX 8 drop 19pts(!) from 748 to 729.

I had a CCT report on 12/23/18 that was just before (in minutes) I applied for my 2nd card. Citi double-pulled EQ/EX and my first myFICO 3B report was on 12/31/18. So that was clean and I'll be able to tell on Monday what happens with EX. I'm not so sure I'm getting all those 19pts back.

Between 12/4/18 and 12/23/18 in the data below, I dropped 1 scorable inq at TU on 12/7/18 and gained one on 12/20/18. At that time, there was 1 remaining scorable inq from 1/23/18, for a total of 2 scorable on 12/20/18. Just no way to tell.

(666 to 728 is what happens when a single loan, which is the only account on file,  ages to 1 year along with dropping to 8.47% remaining balance. I've never read about a clean file jump this big. This is why I started my revolving credit history with a $8500 TCL.)

tu-historical-all_to_122019.png

Message 4 of 37
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Nice datapoint Cassie!

One big question though, looking at FICO 9: reason codes all moved around, did you have any revolving balance changes in between the two data points as well?

Definitely not. My 2 open accounts reported their balances between Dec 1 and Dec 5, and that's the 12/10 scores. Next report from them will be Jan 1 to Jan 5.

TU 9, TU Auto 9, and TU Bankcard 9 all jumped +27pts when I was at AZEO in July. No wonder 'too many accounts with balances' is up at #2. (TU 8 went up +14pts at AZEO (1/2, 50%)...hoping to see that added on later in February.)

FICO 8 and earlier look pretty straight forward, but that FICO 9 datapoint is mighty curious in the flip of no recent loan activity and accounts with balances.  I still think you should play some reindeer games with a small loan whenever you next make applications hah, interesting to see it's a penalty on every single Transunion model though I don't think recent loan activity applies to open loans on all of them necessarily think closed loans suffice some.

I'll take it under advisement. lol

Message 5 of 37
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.

I know we've talked about new file scorecards before and they seem to hold water, wonder if there are multiple new file ones for FICO 9; namely, ones that are seeking credit (inquiries > 0) in the last year, and ones that aren't.  That might hold more broadly a few years back when I had access to EX FICO 9 I got absolutely whacked for an inquiry / new account but I didn't have good tracking of it at the time to distinguish the two, just took a ~40 point drop right off the bat from 780ish to 740ish.  None of the other models moved like that, working theory is that FICO 9 penalizes new credit more harshly which I suppose makes sense from a lender perspective (who are FICO's customers).

Anyway back on topic: reason codes generally don't change order in my experience unless there was a material change in one of them (there wasn't in this case) or a scorecard switch occurred.  Also specific to FICO 9 none of the others changed in that regard from my quick analysis.

Appreciate the info as always!

        
Message 6 of 37
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@CassieCard Wow! Very nicely executed, tracked, and presented! Bravo! You are definitely a great asset to the community! Thanks!

I agree accounts with a balance is worth a lot of points, but why wasn’t it in the number two spot the month prior? Why the flip? I find that curious and interesting as well.

Like @Rev said,? If there are no material changes, I can’t imagine anything other than scorecard reassignment causing it, because it changes the weighting of the factors.

As for Version 9, I’ve seen it do some really funky stuff. I’ve seen it go the opposite way of Version 8 and it definitely warrants further study because it definitely has some different nuances. There are more changes than they have let on, IMHO.

Congratulations and thank you for the great data! Great job, as always!

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated April 2020.

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Extent? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just list whether you have any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.
For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment. please.
Message 7 of 37
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

I just found an answer to this with EX 8: nowhere close to the -19pt drop (748 to 729) I saw last year for my first (and only) inquiry at EX.

I'm not even back to my highest EX 8 score of 748 last year on 12/23/2018. That was without any revolving accounts. Just an open loan at 8.47% with AoOA, AAoA, and AoYA all at 1 year.

Previous Report

12/21/2019

Current Report

12/23/19

What changed?

• No changes besides 1 remaining scorable inquiry aging to 1 year. Both open accounts reported their balances at least 2 weeks prior to these 2 reports. They don't update again until Jan 1 - Jan 3.

• PAYMENT HISTORY: EXCEPTIONAL
  • AMOUNT OF DEBT: VERY GOOD
  • CREDIT HISTORY LENGTH: POOR
  • AMOUNT OF NEW CREDIT: VERY GOOD
  • CREDIT MIX: VERY GOOD

12/21

Δ

12/23

FICO 8

EX

+3

Short credit history, No recent loan activity

FICO 2

EX

+13

[Change]

Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances, Too many accounts with balances

Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances, Seeking credit

FICO Auto 8

EX

+3

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Few accounts paid on time, Short revolving credit history

FICO Bankcard 8

EX

+3

Short credit history, No recent loan activity, Few accounts paid on time, Too many accounts with balances

FICO Auto 2

EX

+12

No recent loan activity, Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances

FICO Bankcard 2

EX

+13

[Change]

Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances, Too many accounts with balances

Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances, Seeking credit

FICO 3

EX

+12

[Change]

Short credit history, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances, Recently opened new credit acccount

Short credit history, Seeking credit, Short revolving credit history, High revolving balances

ex-historical-all_to_122319.png

Message 8 of 37
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Might be different based on model and/or scorecard, I do know for EQ FICO 5 in my then derogatory scorecard I gained and lost 7 points identically going from 3->2->3->2->3 as I went through a mortgage process between grace periods and others fading to grey.

        
Message 9 of 37
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yeah, further evidence of scorecard reassignment. Remember, each scorecard weighs scoring factors differently.

If one remains on the same scoresheet, s/he should receive the same number of points back as is lost, but when you are reassigned to a different scorecard, all bets are off, as scoring factors are weighed differently.

It's so frequently stated that one will receive back the same number of points, that it is frequently forgotten that this assumes no change in scorecard. Inquiries are definitely worth a different number of points, depending on scorecard. Good news is, it appears inquiries aren't costing you a fortune anymore.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated April 2020.

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Extent? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just list whether you have any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.
For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment. please.
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.