Credit Scoring Primer, pub.5.17.20

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: General Scoring Primer and Version 8 Master Thread Pub.5.17.20

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember ABORT?!

I went looking for this again and found some things under "Average balance across all trade lines".

After looking at the dates on some of these PDFs/links, I think this characteristic may only belong to the mortgage scores.

(See them here, and note the PDF from Credco about mortgages and TU FICO 98/ EX II.)

Something else interesting: I lost some points recently on TU 4 going from 4/4 @ $1571 to 4/4 @ $1807. We speculated it might be a $1600 balance threshold.

But that's also an ABORT change from $392.75 to $451.75! It could be a $400 threshold for "Average Balance across all trade lines" (on TU 4 only). Just something to watch out for in the future. If something looks weird, like my score change above, check the ABORT value and see if it looks like a threshold.

Maybe this is a real characteristic on the mortgage scores and the attributes in the graphic are just approximations.

I know where this was posted, but I never found the original FICO source PDF.

@Anonymous very astute observation. You're correct, that could be throwing some curves into point changes not previously considered. 

Message 401 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: General Scoring Primer and Version 8 Master Thread, pub.5.17.20

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah the amount didn’t change but the proportion did and there may be a threshold there it just hasn’t been popularity found if so.

But @ccquest, there’s an easy way to resolve this: keep an eye on it and see if you get those points back when your aggregate instalment utilisation dips under say 89%, because that’s where the threshold would be most likely to be, but it would definitely have to be by 86%, because that’s where you were at.

@ccquest BTW, @Remedios found that at 87%, IIRC, as a heads up. I don't know if you ever got a chance to notice it again. 

Message 402 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:
Below are a couple threads that discuss cards reportings balances. Admittedly, I have not read thru this thread and some of my bullet point observations have undoubtedly been discussed:

* Dirty scorecards don't look at # cards reporting balances as a scoring factor.

* The older Fico 04 and Fico 98 models "mortgage models" put more emphasis on # cards reporting balances than does Fico 8 and Fico 9.

* Equifax (EQ) tweaked version of Fico adds emphasis to score change associated with increased # cards reporting. This is particularly true on the Fico 04 model (score 5).

* Experian has de-emphasized cards reporting as a scoring factor.

* A study I did on EQ Fico 8 BCE showed score changes associated with incremental increase in # cards reporting. On a percentage basis went from 20% => 40% => 80% => 100%. Unfortunately no data points with 3 cards reporting. Could be score change 2 => 3 but no change 3 => 4, can't say either way. [Single INQ score 6 to 8 points lower than zero INQ score on BCE Fico 8 - could spread increase as # cards reporting increases?]

* I saw no change on any Classic Fico 8 score going from 1 of 5 to 5 of 5 cards reporting balances. This may have been due to the 850 buffer. Regardless, Classic Fico 8 is not as sensitive to # cards reporting as Bank Card Enhanced (BCE) Fico 8.

* New account scorecards are more sensitive to # cards reporting balances.

@Thomas_Thumb do you maintain the above bolded as currently accurate or has your position evolved? and actually I should ask it as: do dirty cards consider number of AWB (accounts with a balance) as a scoring factor? Thank you for your time! *** (I would note that it appears only EQ tracks number of revolvers with a balance, from reasoning code analysis, so I'm assuming the intended metric is AWB, rather than cards as was previously thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

@Anonymous The number of AWB may not matter while you're in a dirty card. 

Message 403 of 509
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ccquest BTW, @Remedios found that at 87%, IIRC, as a heads up. I don't know if you ever got a chance to notice it again. 

Do you know how tightly she tracked that? I'm at 89.08% on EX right now, should get down to 88.81% in the next couple days, then 88.36% as May starts. Three months to get to 86.6%.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 404 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccquest wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know how tightly he tracked that? I'm at 89.08% on EX right now, should get down to 88.81% in the next couple days, then 88.36% as May starts. Three months to get to 86.6%.

@ccquest i'm fairly certain it was tracked very closely, but I will allow @Remedios  to speak for herself, if she will be so kind? Smiley Wink I just went and looked in the primer and I had it at 88%, so I may be off by a percent.

Message 405 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate cleared up how HELOCS are believed to factor on 5/4/3/2, so I added a HELOCS section under Mortgage Scores discussing this and linking his original thread and findings. 

@ccquest as memory serves, I believe each payment was 2% so it could've been 87% or 88%, so maybe you can resolve which one it is for us when you pass it? 

Message 406 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 407 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the improved Mortgage Score section has been moved to the beginning of Post 6, where I think it will remain, and is now Section 9.

Permalink: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/General-Scoring-Primer-and-Version-8-Mas...
Message 408 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So the improved Mortgage Score section has been moved to the beginning of Post 6, where I think it will remain, and is now Section 9.

Permalink: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/General-Scoring-Primer-and-Version-8-Master-Thread-pub-5-17-20/m-p/6023353/highlight/true#M169684

Nice edit on the mortgage scores. Just gets better every month!

I found similiar to this sentence is in a number of recently published articles about credit and thin files:

"Consumers with little or no credit history are considered to have thin credit files." *SMH + Eye roll*

So yeah, that's what's been out there for people. So much so that a person could be forgiven for thinking that a thin file was somehow related to aging. At least FICO, Experian, and TransUnion have articles that use the correct meaning of it: low number of tradelines. (But these don't go to the top of news aggregator sites like Google News.)

Message 409 of 509
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous: lol I saw that edit. Thanks! I guess "Rule of 3" is catchier than Age Mod 3 = 0 .

Message 410 of 509
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.