Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a 4 - 9 pt Bump for No Reason

tag
polaris2011
Contributor

Got a 4 - 9 pt Bump for No Reason

Nothing changed on my report, but I got a 9 pt increase on EQ and 4 pt increase on both EX and TU over the weekend. 

I get so much anxiety when I can't explain why my score moves in either direction. I have taken on a bunch of new debt, including a student loan (first and only installment loan in years) for my eldest, so I'm expecting all sorts of chaos over the next few months as the reports update. I'm sweating!!  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
3 REPLIES 3
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Got a 4 - 9 pt Bump for No Reason

My first guess is that something aged and that either your AoYA (age of youngest account), AoOA (age of oldest account), or AAoA (average age of accounts) were positively affected.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

My first guess is that something aged and that either your AoYA (age of youngest account), AoOA (age of oldest account), or AAoA (average age of accounts) were positively affected.

Or inquiries reaching 1 year.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhioMy first guess is that something aged and that either your AoYA (age of youngest account), AoOA (age of oldest account), or AAoA (average age of accounts) were positively affected.

I don't believe that any of those factors would have changed over the weekend (18th-19th) as age of accounts factors all increase on the 1st of the month with them all growing in age by 1 month at that time.  If today was the 2nd or 3rd of the month I would definitely say that this would be the most likely reason.

OM is correct that it could be due to an inquiry becoming 365 days old, as they become unscoreable at exactly that time with the date of the month being a non-factor.

OP, it's important to understand that there's no such thing as getting a 4-9 point "bump" (or loss) for "no reason."  There's always a reason.  The FICO algorithm only considers data when generating a score.  If you're seeing a different score, it can only be due to different data.  You'd have to go through your two credit reports (before/after score change) account by account, line by line to determine what could have caused the change.  The most common reason for an insignificant change such as the one you referenced IMO would be something utilization-related.  Perhaps number/percentage of accounts with a balance dropped, a balance on an account dropped, or something along those lines.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.