File Length: 16 years

AAoA: 11 years

Newest Account: 5.5 years

(Edit 2: Closed) Tradelines: 2x Mortgage, 1x Auto, 7x CC, 1x Gas

Utilization: 0%

Negatives: (1) 30 day late in 2012

Inquiries: 0 

OK, guess my score.

Fico Score? Six eight eight. Looking at a friends report who has only a slightly lower score with four recent collections, I'm somewhat confused. Any insight would be appreciated.  I do know a small but nonzero uti would help a little and I'm hoping to get a decent boost in six months when that late drops off, but I would have guessed higher. My fakos being sixty points higher left me a little surprised when I looked at FICO scores, though it isn't a direct comparison. The FICO is from Experian but the reported data is similar.

Edit: Reading these forums tonight I've quickly learned how big of a deal having closed tradelines is. This has to be the reason for my scores. I find it amazing how profound the impact is. The good news is I should be able to fix this FAST.

Edit 2: See post 14.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Guess my score

Whoops ... score above is FICO 8.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't sound right to me.  Given the data you provided in the original post, you have a profile capable of an 850 FICO 8 score.  Perhaps 830-840 would be expected only due to you not being at AZEO and having all $0 balances reported across revolvers.  Anyway, that being said, there's no way that a 6 year old 30 day late payment would be holding back your score 150 points.  There's got to be other adverse payment history information, perhaps something that you're not aware of.  Only bad utilization or bad payment history would knock a score back 100-150 points with your 3 age of accounts factors being maxed out, having no inquiries, etc.  Just my opinion.

Message 3 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yeahhhhh... something isn't right.
You should be at the 800 level. What's the utilization on your CCs?
There's got to be a newer baddie hiding in there somewhere?
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy Paste

Accounts Ever Late

Collections Accounts

Time Since Negative

6 Years

Average Account Age

11 Years 5 Months

Oldest Account

15 Years 9 Months

Also:

You have 0 Public Records

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

"What's the utilization on your CCs?"

0% for this score, though it may be reporting as 1% by now. I got gas on a card just to get a card to 1%.

Here is some other data:

FICO 2 - 754

Auto - 678

Auto2 - 725

Bankcard 8 - 685

FICO 3 - 770

Bankcard 2 - 763

Is it possible I'm just not getting many points in the payment history category because for years the loans are all paid/closed and no cc activity? That is all I can come up with.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you, I would pull a 3-Bureau report with your three FICO 8 scores using a tool like the $1 trial at Credit Check tool.  Compare all three scores and then very closely scruitize the 3B report for:

(a) Differences between the three reports (including CC balances)

(b) The possibility of hidden derogs

Regarding (b) if you can still only find one derog (the six year old 30-day late) after scrutizing the 3B report, then begin pulling your reports at annualCreditReport.com, starting first with EX.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you claim that there has been no CC activity, that could mean:

(1)  Cards have not been used in a very long time

(2)  Cards have been used but you always paid balances to zero prior to statement printing

(3)  Cards have recently reported a balance (last 5 months) on the report, but the cards reported $0 in the last 40 days.

There is some evidence that when a card remains unusued for a very long time, FICO classifies it as inactive and removes it from consideration.  If all or most of your cards have veen inactive for a long time this might mean FICO is viewing you as having no cards are very few cards.

Message 8 of 22
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"What's the utilization on your CCs?"

0% for this score, though it may be reporting as 1% by now. I got gas on a card just to get a card to 1%.

Here is some other data:

FICO 2 - 754

Auto - 678

Auto2 - 725

Bankcard 8 - 685

FICO 3 - 770

Bankcard 2 - 763

Is it possible I'm just not getting many points in the payment history category because for years the loans are all paid/closed and no cc activity? That is all I can come up with.

^ This. I recall old discussions where posters lost 70 to 100 points after introduction of Fico 8 (profiles had only loans on file?). @Revelate may be able to provide a link to posts relating to this issue. Multiple types of credit are more important in Fico 8, not so important in Fico 04 and Fico 98. 

If you had not used any CCs in years and they changed to inactive status, you may not be getting credit for them. In your case, using a card may boost your score considerably. I'd also recommend you cycle through your inactive accounts - if they are still open - to avoid closure do to inactivity.

I have come across multiple posts where inactive cards reportedly caused score to dip when the inactive card 1st used again but, these profiles had other active cards. The score dip was modest and temporary (dip disappeared the next reporting cycle).

Given your older model Fico scores are much higher than Fico 8 counterparts, I think the inactive CCs coupled with no open loan is holding down your Fico 8 scores. The older Fico models look for loans but, mix is satisfied if the loan(s) are closed - they just need to be on file.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So let me see if I'm understanding what I'm reading above.  If the OP has no revolver activity as currently viewed by the FICO 8 algorithm and he then lets one card report a balance to show activity, it's possible he could gain 100-150 points from doing so?  He did say the he may be at 1% utilization soon, so maybe we'll get an answer then?  If this is the case, it's something completely new to me. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.