cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP dropped score immediately. Does the lender see the score before the drop?

tag
Trudy
Valued Contributor

HP dropped score immediately. Does the lender see the score before the drop?

Happy Day All,

So I completed a ReFi application yesterday.  Before doing so I was quoted a rate based on my mortagage scores I provided from my 6/8/18 MyFico report.  Should be no changes since then (no payments applied, inquiries, applications, etc). 

I received alerts from nearly every CM site this morning except MyFico regarding the inquiry and even an alert from WalletHub regarding a score change.  I know its a vantage score and doesn't necessarily mean my FICO scores changed.  Although I expect them to based on what I've read in forums regarding the impact of a HP.  I'm wondering "if" this inquiry dropped my FICO score(s) immediately and if so would the lender see the score(s) before or after the inquiry impact?

I have no prior experience to draw from as I haven't applied for anything in nearly 2 years which was before I joined MyFico and became aware of so much here.

Edit: I realized this probably should have been posted in Mortgage loans which I just did.  Although I'll accept any and all feedback Smiley Happy

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HP dropped score immediately. Does the lender see the score before the drop?

It all depends on if your report is pulled pre or post inquiry. 

If you have an inquiry land on your CR at 2:00PM on the 5th of the month, if you were to pull your report at 11:00AM on the 5th it would not show the inquiry and if you were to pull it at 6:00PM on the 5th the inquiry could be seen.  If your credit score was to be impacted by the presence of the additional inquiry, pulling your report/score the morning of the 5th verses the evening of the 5th in this example would yield 2 different scores.

Message 2 of 4
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: HP dropped score immediately. Does the lender see the score before the drop?

Thanks.  I'm trying to find out what the lender may see.  If the act of them inquiring automatically and immediatelyimpacts the score and they see the lesser score due to their inquiry.  Example: my score before they inquiry is 780.  The penalty for the HP is 5 points.  Will the lender see 775?

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, because they're pulling your report/score before the inquiry.  The inquiry comes after (even though it's only minutes or seconds even).  They see your report/score without the inquiry present because it's not there yet.  If they were to pull your report/score a few hours later (or possibly even minutes later) the inquiry would be present, so if it were to impact your score (not all inquiries do depending on profile) the second pull would show the impact of that inquiry.

A mortgage lender may pull your report/score twice... once early on and once again toward the end of the process to ensure that nothing major [adversely] has changed with your file since the initial app.  Their own inquiry is not major and wouldn't impact the lending decision.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.