Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello i need help with my credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello i need help with my credit score

What else can I do to help my score before a mortgage? 

Need to move and need to apply for a mortgage in the next 2-3 months.

My credit report looks like this

Car Loan:

• excellent payment history
  • Just purchased 06/20

Credit cards (3 total):

Credit one opened 2017 with 3 late payments 06/2019, 07/2019, 08/2020 current balance $61.00.

Capital one opened 2017 excellent payment history current balance $32.00

capital one opended 12/2020 (by accident) current balance $140.00

a crazy situation with Fingerhut I have three different accounts that where closed when I sent out goodwill letters Smiley Sad 

all three accounts are showing different payment history on all 3 credit bureaus with different late payment dates.

Santander loan balance $4471 charged off 07/2016 still reporting CO as of 01/21 

Discover card closed with 3 late payments 06-08/2019
Victoria secret/ Comenity closed 01/20 with 4 late payments 09-12/2019

On equifax I have an account with uplift that was charged off, I tried sending a pay for delete letter i never heard from creditor. balance owe is $403

On Experian i have a account with affirm that was charged off, I tried sending a pay for delete letter,  i was told they can only update to "paid in full". Balance owe $700.

then there are student loans... I have 4 loans totaling $10,106 and on experian i have 9 late payments on each account with date of 11/19,12/19, and 01/20 (miss my forbeance deadline) and 4 missed payments from 2014.  i disputed these accounts in 2018 and they where removed from equifax and my tranunion shows the same payment history as experian.

sorry for any typos, but as you can see i really need help cleaning up my credit report in time to purchase a home. i could be homeless if i dont Smiley Sad

thanks for any sugguestions and tips!

@Anonymous 

@AllZero 

@Anonymous 

9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Hello i need help with my credit score

@Anonymous wrote:

Car Loan:

• Just purchased 06/20

Credit cards (3 total):

Credit one opened 2017 with 3 late payments 06/2019, 07/2019, 08/2020 current balance $61.00.

a crazy situation with Fingerhut I have three different accounts that where closed when I sent out goodwill letters Smiley Sad 

all three accounts are showing different payment history on all 3 credit bureaus with different late payment dates.

On equifax I have an account with uplift that was charged off, I tried sending a pay for delete letter i never heard from creditor. balance owe is $403

On Experian i have a account with affirm that was charged off, I tried sending a pay for delete letter,  i was told they can only update to "paid in full". Balance owe $700.

then there are student loans... I have 4 loans totaling $10,106 and on experian i have 9 late payments on each account with date of 11/19,12/19, and 01/20 (miss my forbeance deadline) and 4 missed payments from 2014.  i disputed these accounts in 2018 and they where removed from equifax and my tranunion shows the same payment history as experian.

sorry for any typos, but as you can see i really need help cleaning up my credit report in time to purchase a home. i could be homeless if i dont Smiley Sad

@Anonymous 

@AllZero 

@Anonymous 

1. Get your mortgage scores. EX2, TU4, EQ5.

2. Practice AZEO All Zero Except One card reporting a small balance. e.g. $5-$10.

3. Address any derogatory or delinquency that are suppressing your scores.

ETA In regards to the collection/charge off, are you in a position to pay in full, if settle for less is not available?

Message 2 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Since you have a short window for application, I would recommend the 3 bureau mortgage scores at FICO Advanced . Cancel plan after you obtain your scores and reports to avoid re-occurring monthly charge.

Free mortgage scores

EX2 + 3 Bureau scores and reports for free or $1 at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid the reoccurring charge.

TU4 WyHy quarterly score. Not sure on membership requirement. Maybe hard pull TU?

EQ5 Get a savings account with DCU. Soft pull EQ to be a member. Free monthly score.

Message 3 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read of some success stories with Credit One in regards to GW Good Will letters. It may not be enough to overcome your other delinquencies but it can be a start to reducing the delinquencies on your credit reports.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you have a tremendous amount of work to do in order to prepare for a mortgage that quickly. Hopefully you have the resources to take care of all your derogatories that are worth taking care of. And the fact that you just opened an account recently and just had recent late payments is going to make it very difficult. You should definitely try a goodwill campaign and try try again.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your dirty file (cleaning it up) should be your only focus right now.  Start by addressing the most severe items first as well as the most recent items.  For example a collection would be a better target than a 30D late, a 60D late from 2020 would be a better target than a 60D late from 2018, etc.  Ultimately you want everything negative gone, but focus on the most impactful items first as getting rid of those can help your chances of getting rid of the easier ones later on.

Outside of that, keep reported utilization to a minimum and sit on your hands... meaning apply for no credit at all.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes i can pay the affirm and uplift i just wasnt sure if it's the right thing to do since they wouldn't remove them from my credit.

Thank you so much for your response!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your response!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Car Loan:

• Just purchased 06/20

Credit cards (3 total):

@Anonymous 

@AllZero 

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous listen I reread what you wrote and I wanted to add to what I said. any charge-offs that are reporting monthly are killing you. You have to deal with them so your score can begin to recover. I'm sorry I don't know if you're going to be able to get the results you need in the timeline you have. The problem is even if you pay the chargeoff, it takes time for it to update and then as it ages, you gain points.

Now, if you have more than one chargeoff updating monthly, you have to deal with all of them in order for the aging to matter.

if a chargeoff is not updating monthly, and you pay it, it could potentially give you an increase or a decrease depending on how long since it has updated and the amount owed.

So your priority should be paying the chargeoffs that are updating monthly first. Absolutely try for a PFD, but if not pay it. The sooner it's paid the sooner your score can begin to heal. Then once you're out of this temporary squeeze you may want to take care of the other charge-offs as well depending on their age. 

hopefully this helps and you've got to do the goodwill saturation technique. I believe @Anonymous  has a great thread on it. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.