cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do each credit bureau calculate FICO scores? Are there different Vantage scores for each Bureau?

tag
UKTone
New Contributor

How do each credit bureau calculate FICO scores? Are there different Vantage scores for each Bureau?

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsInYourScore.aspx is this for Equifax, TransUnion, and/or Experian? Are they all calculated the same way and people saying they aren't because they have different scores, not knowing it is because not all companies report inquires to every bureau?

Are the vantage scores the same? Where can you get the Vantage scores from each bureau?

Thanks.

Edit: What are the ranges for them? I read that one of the Bureaus' highest score is 830, is that true?

Starting Score: 03/17/2013 665 EQ 01/09/2013 EX 724 TU 739?
Current Score: 03/27/2013 682 EQ 01
Goal Score: 850 all three FICO scores, 900 Vantage score, max insurance scores, etc.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do each credit bureau calculate FICO scores? Are there different Vantage scores for each Bur

@UKTone wrote:

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsInYourScore.aspx is this for Equifax, TransUnion, and/or Experian? Are they all calculated the same way and people saying they aren't because they have different scores, not knowing it is because not all companies report inquires to every bureau?

Are the vantage scores the same? Where can you get the Vantage scores from each bureau?

Thanks.

Edit: What are the ranges for them? I read that one of the Bureaus' highest score is 830, is that true?

The link is for general info on FICO scoring and applies to all 3. The formula differs across all 3 CRAs but are very, very similar. Each tend to weigh items more than the other versions. 

No two CRs are alike. So if a poster says that their TU and EQ FICOs differ it can easily be due to having one baddie on one but not the other. While CCs update at the same time to all 3, not all 3 CRs will update exactly the same on the same day so that can account for differences in util. As you mentioned, most creditors don't pull all 3 reports. Also not every creditor reports to all 3 and that can account for a significant score difference. Also closed accounts sometimes drop early and that can account for changes to lengtho fohistory and/or AAoA. There are many other examples too.

I can't speak to Vantage. I assume the score is the same across all 3, unlike FICO. You can get Vantage from TU and EX. EQ doesn't offer it and I am not sure if TU and/or EX offer a 3-in-1 using Vantage.

The FICO ranges aren't published but they aren't exactly 300-850. If you look in here for ranges sometimes you'll see posters post what their creditor told them.

Message 2 of 5
UKTone
New Contributor

Re: How do each credit bureau calculate FICO scores? Are there different Vantage scores for each Bur

Wow this is a very thorough response. Thank you. Kinda surprising that Equifax doesn't offer their vantage, but at least it makes up for Experian not offering their FICO scores. Thanks again.

Goal Score: 850 all three FICO scores, 900 Vantage score, max insurance scores, etc.

Message 3 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@UKTone wrote:

Thanks.

Here is an article you may also find of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FICO_score#FICO_score

Message 4 of 5
UKTone
New Contributor

Yes, thank you. I have went to that page before, but it's been some time and I don't remember reading past the FICO score part.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.