cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does balance transfer affect credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does balance transfer affect credit score?

Does a balance transfer from one card to another vs paying balance differ, if at all?  This is assuming that the end result of balance to credit limit will be the same.  I am curious if the act of transferring is reported or has any impact.  Forget about fees, still making minimum payments, etc.

For example,

Card A starts with 10000 on 25000 credit limit

Card B starts with 0 on 25000 credit limit

Option 1: pay Card A 5000 and charge 5000 new charges to Card B

Option 2: pay Card A 5000, transfer 5000 from Card A to Card B, and charge 5000 in new charges on Card A

In both cases,

Card A ends with 5000 on 25000 credit limit

Card B ends with 5000 on 25000 credit limit

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does balance transfer affect credit score?

Is not reported as a transfer.

Only affect is utilization and if Card A or B have an APR promotion. If card A has 0% APR promotion for balance transfer and Card B does not. It may be worth putting whole balance on Card A and taking a hit for utilization while paying it down before Promotion ends.
Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does a balance transfer from one card to another vs paying balance differ, if at all?  This is assuming that the end result of balance to credit limit will be the same.  I am curious if the act of transferring is reported or has any impact.  Forget about fees, still making minimum payments, etc.

For example,

Card A starts with 10000 on 25000 credit limit

Card B starts with 0 on 25000 credit limit

Option 1: pay Card A 5000 and charge 5000 new charges to Card B

Option 2: pay Card A 5000, transfer 5000 from Card A to Card B, and charge 5000 in new charges on Card A

In both cases,

Card A ends with 5000 on 25000 credit limit

Card B ends with 5000 on 25000 credit limit

Balance transfers don't show up on a credit report.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

No they aren't reported in a negative way, and only the utilization change, if any, will effect the score.

However, when lenders pull your credit, it appears that if you've had too many transfers it's possible that it can be held against you by the term "too much pyramiding debt." At least this is what I've seen form several posts on here. I could be wrong.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
woozy
Contributor

Fair warning to anyone looking for a free" lunch: I transferred a balance to a Chase zero interest card. By giving myself a 90% utilization on that one card, my score dropped 60 points! (25% utilization overall) 

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@woozy wrote:

Fair warning to anyone looking for a free" lunch: I transferred a balance to a Chase zero interest card. By giving myself a 90% utilization on that one card, my score dropped 60 points! (25% utilization overall) 

That's why I'm always asking people what their priorities are.

Saving money on interest and raising your FICO score have nothing to do with each other; FICO doesn't give you points for how low your interest rate is.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@woozy wrote:

@woozy wrote:

US Bank, $12,000 limit, $40.00 balance

Cap1, $8000 limit, $3000 balance

New Chase no interest card, $3000 limit, $2800. balance, transferred from the US Bank.

That's it.

Card maxout - particularly on a new card has a significant negative impact on score. Not to say other factors couldn't be in-play as well.

If you are willing, pay $150 of the balance to bring the card's utilization to just under 89% and report back on resuls. I think that may allow you to gain back quite a few points. You will still be above 50% and 70% which are widely considered high utilization thresholds.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
No they aren't reported in a negative way, and only the utilization change, if any, will effect the score.

However, when lenders pull your credit, it appears that if you've had too many transfers it's possible that it can be held against you by the term "too much pyramiding debt." At least this is what I've seen form several posts on here. I could be wrong.

Um, when they pull credit, how do they know you are doing balance transfers?  It's not like it's reported.

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is not reported as a transfer.

Only affect is utilization and if Card A or B have an APR promotion. If card A has 0% APR promotion for balance transfer and Card B does not. It may be worth putting whole balance on Card A and taking a hit for utilization while paying it down before Promotion ends.

I was worried about doing a balance transfer because it would put my one card at 60% utilization. But since I already purchased my house and don't plan on apping for anything for a while, what does it matter? I'd rather take advantage of the 0% interest and let my scores bounce back. I guess being on the forums too much have me over paranoid. I feel like I'm starting to put myself in more of a bind trying to maximize my score. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done quite a few bal tansfers over the years and I've seen exactly what happens each time.  It's totally fine.  You just have to give the whole transacation a few weeks to "Settle".  In your scenario, where you're well under the 50% threshold, take the whole $10k and move it onto Card B, then pay it off as fast as you can.  Now, the other trick is to not use Card A at all.....not even for a $50 dinner or whatever.  You want to be under the 50% threshold, BUT you also want as many accounts with a $0.00 balance as possible - it's called "Too many accounts with balances", to be precise.  Initially, when the transfer happens, Card B may show a balance and drop your score until the corresponding $0.00 shows up for Card A, then it'll go back up.  It may take 3+ wks to balance back out, but it will eventually balance out again.  Go for it !!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.