Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How high can I score with low AAOA?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

How high can I score with low AAOA?

I've spent the last 3 years or so rebuilding with great success. Thanks to y'all here (see my log), I am on track to have a perfect file soon.

Right now my AAOA is only 3.87.  My oldest account is 8 yrs and my newest is 2 months.  In March 2015 my last late payment will disappear (durn student loan).  My credit file will be perfect, with a good mix of installment, revolving, and mortgage history and optimized utilization.  At that time my AAOA (assuming I add no new accounts) will be 7.5, with an oldest account at 11.5.  

What is the best I can get to with that AAOA?

Has anyone else here had experience with scoring a low AAOA with an otherwise perfect report?  What kind of scores did you end up with?

Is it reasonable to expect I will qualify for top tier credit offers without a better AAOA?

Is there anything except time that can help my AAOA?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How high can I score with low AAOA?

I'd be very interested to find out too. I will likewise have a credit report with no baddies and a good mix of revolving credit soon but I'm 20 and have just opened my first credit card no more than a month ago.. Very good question p-.. Hopefully we'll find out soon

Message 2 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be very interested to find out too. I will likewise have a credit report with no baddies and a good mix of revolving credit soon but I'm 20 and have just opened my first credit card no more than a month ago.. Very good question p-.. Hopefully we'll find out soon

If anyone knows it's the people here.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AAoA is right around 1.5yrs.  Scores are ~720 with a 4 year old unpaid CO (Just found out about this, trying to get it removed) and two 30 day lates on an AU account.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rarely does anything over 760 mean anything. At that time you should be able to touch 790 or 800 with a totally clean report and that aaoa and total history.
Message 5 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

Nice...  Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like I will continue to see my score rise as the last bit of ugly ages off.  I'll keep posting in my log.

Message 6 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

AVerage age of accounts is one of the lower weighted factors in FICO scoring.  Your age of accounts is a little below median, but not that much.  Your other, higher-weighted FICO categories, such as payment history and utilization, appear to be improving, so they will probably have more impact on your ability to increase your score than that of the lower-weighted AAoA.  I wont venture a specific guess as to numbers, but there is really little you can do about improving age of credit other than not applying for new, uneeded credit.  Since you appear to have necessary credit and a good mix of types of credit, it would appear that you dont have significant need for additional credit.  I would thus restrain from applying for new credit simply to take advantage of such things as additional credit limit.  You dont really need additional CL if you keep the other side of the utilization calculation low by keeping balances low.

I would look at it more from the point of view of not doing anything to hurt where you currently are rather than taking specific action to improve AAoA.  One or two delinquencies added to your CR will wipe out years of good actions.

Just get older, and pay the min on time!

Message 7 of 20
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Over 800 no doubt as long as your utilization is very low. I am low to mid 790's with lower AAofA on Equifax than yours will be. Stop applying unless you need the credit.

Message 8 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

Over 800 no doubt as long as your utilization is very low. I am low to mid 790's with lower AAofA on Equifax than yours will be. Stop applying unless you need the credit.

Nice.  That's good to hear.  I am done appplying for now; I have almost 10k in available credit and never use more than 2 to 3k at any time, so I'm fine.  I'll use CLI requests to get that up if I need it.  Now that my score is finally getting good, I don't really need the credit any more, hahaha.

Message 9 of 20
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Nice.  That's good to hear.  I am done appplying for now; I have almost 10k in available credit and never use more than 2 to 3k at any time, so I'm fine.  I'll use CLI requests to get that up if I need it.  Now that my score is finally getting good, I don't really need the credit any more, hahaha.

Only 10K? You might want to think about getting a high limit credit union credit card. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.