cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How high can you score get with a single 30 day late that is almost 6 years old?

tag
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

How high can you score get with a single 30 day late that is almost 6 years old?

Hey Team,

I know it is impossible to predict the exact score without knowing alot of factors.

I have 37 accounts on my file.

17 are still active (average age is 6 years old. Oldest 1998, Newest less than a month)

About 125K of credit available but I am carring about 8K in debt spread out among 6 cards.

No BK or CO

I have one 30 day late that won't "clear" until next year.

During the credit crunch (2008-2009), I did have certain companies out right close my account but was never late and paid them.

My queries on average are 8 in the last year on all 3 CRA.

My DTI is about is about 20% per month.

With all this said, my Fico score barely breaks 720. Does anybody think I can reach 740 or above? Or do I have to wait until next year?

Fee

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How high can you score get with a single 30 day late that is almost 6 years old?

@FeeBear wrote:

Hey Team,

I know it is impossible to predict the exact score without knowing alot of factors.

17 are still active (average age is 6 years old. Oldest 1998, Newest less than a month)

About 125K of credit available but I am carring about 8K in debt spread out among 6 cards.

No BK or CO

During the credit crunch (2008-2009), I did have certain companies out right close my account but was never late and paid them.

With all this said, my Fico score barely breaks 720. Does anybody think I can reach 740 or above? Or do I have to wait until next year?

Fee

FICO 8?  Yes, probably easily if you pretty up your revolving balances, depending what your installment history looks like and what not and let your inquiries fade: that's a bunch score wise if they weren't mortgage / auto related.

My EX FICO 8 is a 739 right now, my AAOA is 2 years (about to tick over 3) and that's with a tax lien, 30/60 late, and a paid collection from 2010.  Also a single scorable inquiry on the report... least for the next few hours Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 11
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

Re: How high can you score get with a single 30 day late that is almost 6 years old?

@Revelate wrote:

@FeeBear wrote:

Hey Team,

No BK or CO

Fee

FICO 8?  Yes, probably easily if you pretty up your revolving balances, depending what your installment history looks like and what not and let your inquiries fade: that's a bunch score wise if they weren't mortgage / auto related.

My EX FICO 8 is a 739 right now, my AAOA is 2 years (about to tick over 3) and that's with a tax lien, 30/60 late, and a paid collection from 2010.  Also a single scorable inquiry on the report... least for the next few hours Smiley Happy.

Thanks Rev Smiley Happy gives me hope!

Message 3 of 11
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

I dropped from a 829 to a 705 with a single 30 day late reporting... No telling what the max score with it is though.

Message 4 of 11
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

I dropped from a 829 to a 705 with a single 30 day late reporting... No telling what the max score with it is though.

One hundred and twenty four points? Wow!

Message 5 of 11
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@FeeBear wrote:

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

Here are the exact numbers:

FICO Scores as of 12/2014 - Absolutely no derogatories:

EQ04 - 790 / /  EX08 - 814  / /  TU08 - 829

FICO Scores as of 01/2015 - 30 Days Late Reporting:

EQ04 - 697  / /  EX08 - 702 / /  TU08 - 705

See my signature for additional data points.

Message 6 of 11
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@FeeBear wrote:

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

Here are the exact numbers:

FICO Scores as of 12/2014 - Absolutely no derogatories:

EQ04 - 790 / /  EX08 - 814  / /  TU08 - 829

FICO Scores as of 01/2015 - 30 Days Late Reporting:

EQ04 - 697  / /  EX08 - 702 / /  TU08 - 705

See my signature for additional data points.

Dude, I remember reading your post. My heart goes out to you, what she did to u is criminal.

fee

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your utilization in order and you can get there on FICO 8.  Your mortgage scores will never get there, but you can get there on FICO 8.

Collections and public records may have similar scoring effects. I have no lates, so I can't say on those.

WIth 3 federal tax liens showing as unpaid (they have been paid and released, but not updated on my credit reports).  Other than the federal tax liens, my file is pretty, no other derogatories, 3 cards, 1 car, 2 mortgages on 2 properties (1 each) and utilization optimized 3% overall with 7% on one card, AAoA 8 years, Oldest Account 18 years

Message 8 of 11
EW800
Valued Contributor

@FeeBear wrote:

Hey Team,

No BK or CO

Fee

I would think that you would not have an issue at all hitting 740 once the revolving utilization is in line.  I have baddies that are WAAAAY worse than a 30-day late (see below) and have scores that are at least knocking on the door of the 735-740 range on the FICO 8 model.  Most of my Auto-Henhanced and Bankcard-Enhanced scores are in the 750-760 range.  

Best wishes!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 11
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Get your utilization in order and you can get there on FICO 8.  Your mortgage scores will never get there, but you can get there on FICO 8.

Collections and public records may have similar scoring effects. I have no lates, so I can't say on those.

WIth 3 federal tax liens showing as unpaid (they have been paid and released, but not updated on my credit reports).  Other than the federal tax liens, my file is pretty, no other derogatories, 3 cards, 1 car, 2 mortgages on 2 properties (1 each) and utilization optimized 3% overall with 7% on one card, AAoA 8 years, Oldest Account 18 years

Thanks Inverse Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.