cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can closed accounts show up for?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

How long can closed accounts show up for?

I keep thinking there must be a thread about this somewhere, but searches haven't yielded anything. I'm wondering what the record is for the length of time an account showing up on a CR after it's closed. I know the theory is that positive ones will age off after 10 years, but I am wondering how long people have actually had them showing after being closed? I have sort of a zombie account showing on one CRA and I'm wondering how unusual it is.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How long can closed accounts show up for?

Its not that unusual to see an account linger on the reports than normal. If its an account in good standing/closed, I wouldn't worry about it. I have an old account thats 11 years old that hasn't dropped from my EXP report, but has on the other two Smiley Sad Im fine with it stayingSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

I have an account showing Closed since 1997. I'm not mentionin any names and mess up a good thing :-)

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 3 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Its not that unusual to see an account linger on the reports than normal. If its an account in good standing/closed, I wouldn't worry about it. I have an old account thats 11 years old that hasn't dropped from my EXP report, but has on the other two Smiley Sad Im fine with it stayingSmiley Happy

Ah, I hadn't realized that it was common for them to linger, thank you. I have an account that reports as closed 3/1/2000 that is still showing up on EQ but has disappeared from the other reports. Oddly, it shows it was most recently updated 4/2017 which I really don't understand. It had been closed for over 17 years at that point. It will be interesting to see when it finally drops off.

Message 4 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

I have an account showing Closed since 1997. I'm not mentionin any names and mess up a good thing :-)

Is yours on all the reports or only one? Mine isn't as old, but it's also only on one report.

Message 5 of 12
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

It's still on my Eq and Ex reports. So my aaoa is higher. 

My eq and Ex are both about 30 points higher that TransUnion as a result 

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 6 of 12
OmarR
Established Contributor

I had a CC from 1991-1993. All positive history. 29 years later, it's still on my report.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 7 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Dang okay, that is amazing that some are that old. Thank you for sharing, and I will patiently wait and hope my old account stays on. I think it's one of the reasons why that score is my highest of the three.

Message 8 of 12
OmarR
Established Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

Dang okay, that is amazing that some are that old. Thank you for sharing, and I will patiently wait and hope my old account stays on. I think it's one of the reasons why that score is my highest of the three.

I forgot to mention that my 29 yr old account is only on my EQ report. That is why I have a higher perfect 850 score versus my other reports. It's the ONLY difference amongst my 3 reports. 

In addition, it was a Synchrony credit card. People constantly complain about either EQ's and/or Synchrony's shortcomings. Those shortcomings are actually helping me out! 

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 9 of 12
krit
Regular Contributor

I had a closed account in good standing hang around for 12 years. I laid low, but it eventually fell off. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.