cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to rebound from late payments?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: How long does it take to rebound from late payments?

@Anonymous wrote:

120 day lates still majorly affect credit reports beyond the 2 year mark. Best bet is to start a goodwill letter campaign to try and get them removed. 

I've even read that the effects on a score are almost the same as a bankruptcy, but I have not, and will not test that theory. Of course with a BK you will have a lot of other bad stuff as well. Believe it or not, My Neice had so many finance company debts delinquent that her credit score increased when she filed. She had like 26 seperate finance company accounts.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 11 of 18
masscredit
Valued Contributor

None of her accounts when into collections but they were going to repo the car. That's caught up now. I've thought about good will letters. No experience with them.  Would she contact the lenders to explain she ran into financial difficultly then ask if they would forgive her/delete the negatives from her account? I guess it's like pleading guilty to a crime that asking the court for mercy. 

I'd be surprised if she'd be approved for any non-secured cards. All of the cards that she has were late so I guess secured would be the only option to get new cards with a positive history. It sucks to see someone start off in the credit world then quickly sink. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The accounts not going into collections is a good thing. I'll let more experienced members comment on that.

It is quite often that a person starts off in credit and sinks rapid. My friend's 18-year-old daughter went through that. Both of them had the benefit of my guidance. I might have even bailed-out the daughter if push came to shove. But the mother was prideful, and despite my asking every two weeks..."Everything OK...what's her balance...what is she doing...did you check" ...after about 9 months, department store card and MasterCard, it was a total train-wreck. Talk about self-inflicted wounds...

In addition to secure-credit card, don't forget the secured bank loan.  It's a no-brainer. I have one myself, in fact. I think (maybe $500). I set it on auto-pay, and forgot about it. It has been going for years without  my active participation. Naturally, you want to maximize the length-of-loan/principal ratio. I did 5 years/$1000. Then you want to set the absolute minimum monthly auto-debit payment possible. The idea is to get maximum benefit from it being on the report before paid-off, and after it is paid-off. If life improves for her, she might have desire to pay it off. Not good. Smiley Happy Just let it ride and do its job. She'll get benefit of:

1. positive account
  2. diversity of accounts
  3. average age of accounts

For her, #3 is probably the most important, given her situation. The damage is alredy done. She should not wait to get clean. She should  think about her future. She should get cards, then not (ab)use them. If she is the type of person who will do a repeat of this bad situation..well, you know what to tell her. But if she is type of person who learns from the pain of this mistake, then Discover, Amex, and Capital One have all been good to me to re-enter the credit game. If she can get these can grow with them, she'll be fine. Patience!  [She should not re-enter credit game with "gutter" banks like Credit One, IMO.]

Message 13 of 18
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

It's only on my EQ report because EQ is a bunch of poopslinging trolls who refuse to delete it even though it's been requested to be fixed by the loan company multiple times.  

I'm not following this.  What do you mean EQ "refuses" to delete it?  If you have documentation from a lender that states that an item shouldn't be present, that's more than enough ammo to have EQ delete it.  If for whatever reason they're dragging their feet, file a claim with the BBB and CFPB against them and upload your documentation.  I'd be shocked if within a week the account didn't read exactly as your documentation states.

What kind of documentation would I need? I only have emails from the guy at CIG Financial saying he would delete the 30 day late. I've been wanting to call EQ to see what's going on, but I just haven't had the time or patience. Honestly, I kind of don't even care anymore LOL. I'm not going to be applying for anything until next year and the late will be gone by then.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

What kind of documentation would I need? I only have emails from the guy at CIG Financial saying he would delete the 30 day late.

Anything in writing is sufficient, be it a letter or email like you got.  Even a chat session screen shot would probably be adequate.  All you need to do is file your complaints online and upload your documentation.  It's pretty cut and dry at that point, as Business X said that they would do Y and they didn't do it.  The BBB and CFPB will put pressure on them to do Y as promised and 9 times out of 10 Business X will make good on what they said they would.

Message 15 of 18
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How long it takes to get back to 700's depends largely on the thickness and age of her file.  If she's got a thick/aged file, rebounding from a 120 day late could happen quicker.  I was able to achieve 750-768 scores with 90 day and 120 day lates on multiple accounts and those lates were around 3 years old.  The reason my scores were still pretty strong considering the multiple major baddies was because my file was thick (maybe 15 accounts) and aged with my AoOA around 15 years and AAoA probably 5 years at the time give or take.

There are other people with thin/young files that can't break into the 700's even with their last major baddie being 6-7 years old, so it really depends on the profile in question.

I agree completely with BBS.  I had two 120's showing, one from a foreclosure and another from a credit card settlement.  After three or four years of good history, and a thick file, I was able to get most of my scores into the 740-750 range.  The sting of the 120's absolutely stuck around every second of the seven years though, as it was not until they completely fell off that my scores went north of 800.  

Indeed. In my experience, a single 30-day late (the only derog after addressing high balances) was enough to keep me under 800.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrutalBodyShots,

You said chat session screenshots are enough to qualify as "in writing" for deletion promises.  I have several such screenshots to get an old PIF collection to be deleted, but it hasn't happened.  Can I upload my screenshots onto a CFPB complaint, or would the CFPB frown upon PFD in general?  

Message 17 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

I have quite a thick file-----32 total accounts and 17 open accounts.  112 pages worth with Equifax.  I go back to 1984 with TransUnion and 1990 with Equifax. I believe it's 1990 with Experian, too.

My very high utilization kept me in the 660s through 680s for 10+ years.  I only had ONE 30-day late---and that was in 2/2013.  And it only reported to TransUnion.   I lost about 70 points as a result.  Down to about 610-615.  

However, within like 3-4 months, I was back in the 660s with TransUnion----and I stayed there for seven years there until a month ago.   

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.