Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will a 60 day late payment stay on my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long will a 60 day late payment stay on my credit

It has been 7 years and its still on there?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long will a 60 day late payment stay on my credit

Pull your credit reports and find the date of first delinquency on there, which is the first date it went delinquent and never recovered. From that date, it can legally stay on for 7 years plus 180 days, although typical exclusion is at 7 years. Also, you can contact the bureaus and ask for early exclusion to have it removed on this schedule:

TU - 6 months early
EX - 3 months early
EQ - one month early

It’s all contingent on the DoFD though, not the date the Account was opened.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

first delinquicy was februrary of 2012 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It has been 7 years and its still on there?

When you say "there" are you referring to one of your three CRs, or all three of your reports?

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The exclusion period of 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD applies only to charge-offs and collections.

See FCRA 605(a)(4), as clarified by section 605(c).

The exclusion of monthly delinquencies is separately covered under FCRA 606(a)(5), which sets an exclusion period of 7 years (i.e., no additional 180 days applies).

CRA interpretation of exclusion of monthly delinquencies uses the date of initial delinquency as the start date for the 7 year exclusion period, and not the date of occurence of later and higher levels of monthly delinquency.

More concisely, all monthly delinquencies that are in a common chain that began on an initial date of delinquency are excluded once the period of delinquency reaches 7 years from the initial date of delinquency.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was reading about EE on the forum after I had no luck with Goodwill letters. I didn't know EE didn't apply to current credit cards. TU and EQ said no. EX said sure and deleted them early for the next 6 months on the account. They never reappeared. Oddest thing!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what Robert is saying, that’s actually a really good thing - if I’m interpreting it correctly, a closed account with many negative lates but which was brought current via restitution or garnishment or whatever, will have all the lates excluded at 7 years but the Account remains for the full ten, showing only a history of positive payments for that additional three years.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.