cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will late payments hurt my score?

tag
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

How long will late payments hurt my score?

Hello, I was a dumba$$ about a year and a half ago (maybe I still am).  I got into trouble with my bank charging me over-the-limit fees simply because I wasn't paying attention to my account balance.  To counter the over-the-limit fees, I didn't make a payment on my credit card.  I know that payment history is 35% of your FICO score, and I also know that your credit history stays on your report for up to 10 years, but how old does the 30/60/90/forever day late payment have to be before it doesn't lower my score?  What percent could I expect my FICO score to go up when the late payment no longer is lowering my score?  Another thing - why is the FICO, or any credit scoring algorithm such a huge secret to everyone?  It effects everyone in many aspects of their lives and I believe it should be public knowledge.  It should be public knowledge so people can run "what if" scenarios for their OWN credit situation.  Hurting a person's credit score because they did something (apply for new credit, consolidating debt, closing accounts, etc) that they didn't know the exact consequences for is unfair to all consumers.  If FICO scores are going to be used, then consumers should have the right to know what consequences their actions will have on their score - BEFORE they take action.  I think people would be much more careful in making their decisions if they knew EXACTLY what would happen before they took any action regarding credit.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: How long will late payments hurt my score?

ChrisinKC wrote:
Hello, I was a dumba$$ about a year and a half ago (maybe I still am).  I got into trouble with my bank charging me over-the-limit fees simply because I wasn't paying attention to my account balance.  To counter the over-the-limit fees, I didn't make a payment on my credit card.  I know that payment history is 35% of your FICO score, and I also know that your credit history stays on your report for up to 10 years, but how old does the 30/60/90/forever day late payment have to be before it doesn't lower my score?  What percent could I expect my FICO score to go up when the late payment no longer is lowering my score?  Another thing - why is the FICO, or any credit scoring algorithm such a huge secret to everyone?  It effects everyone in many aspects of their lives and I believe it should be public knowledge.  It should be public knowledge so people can run "what if" scenarios for their OWN credit situation.  Hurting a person's credit score because they did something (apply for new credit, consolidating debt, closing accounts, etc) that they didn't know the exact consequences for is unfair to all consumers.  If FICO scores are going to be used, then consumers should have the right to know what consequences their actions will have on their score - BEFORE they take action.  I think people would be much more careful in making their decisions if they knew EXACTLY what would happen before they took any action regarding credit.

FICO is secret because if it were public no one would need Fair Isaac  Smiley Very Happy  And there is a great deal of information out there on how scores are calculated, and a bunch of simulators on the web.  It is just that no one checks until they are in trouble  Smiley Very Happy

But - baddies (except BK) stay on your report 7 to 7.5 years then drop off.  They hurt less as they age - every year helps (the FICO computer seems to like the year as the unit of time)
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 4
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

I understand that they hurt less as they age, but HOW much less?  How much less after 1 year, 2 years, etc?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on what was paid late and how late it was. A single 30 day on my credit cards stopped anchoring my score down after 14 months of being on time while paying down the balance. For the 90 days on my installment debt it took almost 2 years for my score to recover--again being on time AND actually paying down the balance.

So in general lates stay on your record for 7 years, but your actual score recovers in about 2.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.