cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CCs is considered Optimal for FICO Scoring?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many CCs is considered Optimal for FICO Scoring?

I hope this can help in the great "How Many Debate"

Me last week

1 HSBC Master Card   - $700 CL ($500 bal will be $350 once it updates)

1 Dillards store card   - $850 CL ($0 Balance)

1 Macy's store card   - $850 CL (Opened 2002 and unused since 2004, I thought it was closed)

4 Student Loans       - $8,229

1 Auto Loan             - $8353    (from $12,375)

1 30day late in 2005 on the dillards and a string of 90 day lates on 3 of the student loans

(Note: open all your statements even when your student loans are in deferment because if you aren't psychic it is hard to guess when they will come out Smiley Wink )

Everything else is all good

Not a lot going on I know but my Credit History is 12yrs3mos old and my AAofA is 8 years

This week I have had 6 inquires (as many as 6 and as little as 3 on each but 6 in all)

I had one new account a Barklays Master card CL$700

Equifax is the only one I have a FICO score for and it jumped 20 points.

My TransUnion FAKO didn't change (but is showing the new card)

Experian FAKO went up 18 points

I will be buying my TU and EX Ficos next Friday.

I have one more credit card I have been approved for (Capital One CL $1000) that hasn't hit yet I will let you know what the change is when it does but that will be all the credit shopping I feel I need to do for a while.

Edited to add more spaces. My post was a BLOB!

Message Edited by AmyBoo on 10-18-2008 12:49 PM
Message 61 of 146
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work as a loan officer for a Credit Union.  We pull exclusively Experian here, but honest to God, I've seen a score of 815 without any CC's, just an mortgage with 180mo+trade and an auto loan.  75% of the scores in the 800's I've seen, have had 1-3 cards.  I've seen an 815 with a home loan, auto loan, and a Sam's club card at 15% util.  I'm sure by have a good CC mix you can improve your score, but honestly I think payment history is the biggest factor.  Personally, I have not seen a score in the 800's that had more than 3 cards yet.  Most people with 5-15 cards have been in the 780's max (783 is a very popular number).  I'm not saying you can't have an 800 with more than 3 cards, but personally that's what I've noticed (I've probably pulled about 8 scores 800+).  I've also seen a 25 y/o with one major CC at 5% util with a 731 with only 27mo trade history!
Message 62 of 146
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I work as a loan officer for a Credit Union.  We pull exclusively Experian here, but honest to God, I've seen a score of 815 without any CC's, just an mortgage with 180mo+trade and an auto loan.  75% of the scores in the 800's I've seen, have had 1-3 cards.  I've seen an 815 with a home loan, auto loan, and a Sam's club card at 15% util.  I'm sure by have a good CC mix you can improve your score, but honestly I think payment history is the biggest factor.  Personally, I have not seen a score in the 800's that had more than 3 cards yet.  Most people with 5-15 cards have been in the 780's max (783 is a very popular number).  I'm not saying you can't have an 800 with more than 3 cards, but personally that's what I've noticed (I've probably pulled about 8 scores 800+).  I've also seen a 25 y/o with one major CC at 5% util with a 731 with only 27mo trade history!

That's interesting.

Well I had a score of 711 with 12 months of history: 2 CCs.

My third card, the Amex, pulled me down do 645. 

The 4th CircuitCity card costed me only 2 points.

Message 63 of 146
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can say, with some level of certainty, that 47 is too many. Smiley Wink
Message 64 of 146
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita
Moved:

mademoiselle's post about rebuilding credit and getting a secured card has been split off to start a separate thread. New title:

rebuilding credit; should I start again with a new secured card?

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-14-2008 05:24 PM

Message 65 of 146
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question.  Depends on the bureau I guess.

I have one BofA with a $27,300 CL and an Amex Blue with $10,000 CL;  both with zero balances.

When I pull my TU, it dings me for not having enough "Premium Bankcard Accounts".   WTF?

I do think that the bureaus like to see you in debt; if so, they score you higher.

But for me, my debt load is inversely proportional to my quality of sleep.

Message 66 of 146
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Check out the FICO High Achievers thread in my siggy.

Generally 3 CC's.

And it's not a debt load if you don't have any debt on them. It's just available credit.

eta: sorry, I don't mean to be arguing with how you feel about this --emotions aren't targets for argument and debate; they're just there. I added the clarification about debt load vs available credit for any other readers.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-16-2008 10:24 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 67 of 146
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

I've been going with the 2 CC's (BoA and WaMu) and 1 Store Card(Sears) set-up myself.

One of your Credit Cards should also be from a major national bank like Bank of America or Chase.

I've considered getting one more credit card, but undecided as to which one to get. I had planned on getting an AMEX but given how unpredictable they are it seems more a liability than an asset to me. PenFed sounds really good though...

Message Edited by Not_the_Point on 11-18-2008 10:14 PM

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 68 of 146
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey pushedtofar! I feel you. I haven't ben divorced or anything like that, but the damage to my credit i thought was un-repairable. I was wrong. I did bounce back and I believe you will too. I was in the low 400's and now on my way to the 700 Club.

I am rooting for you!

Message 69 of 146
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita
Moved:

wannalearn's post has been moved to create its own thread, called "Have two cards; want to get above 720."

Message 70 of 146
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.