Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of an AAoAs do you really need

tag
red259
Super Contributor

How much of an AAoAs do you really need

People always talk about their AAoAs and many worry about it excessively. I figure at some point with your AAoA you reach a number where everything after that has minimal impact in terms of card approvals. For example you could have a 20 year AAoAs , but someone with a 10 year AAoA (all else being equal) would likely have the same results when apping. So at what point do you not need to worry about your AAoAs as much?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much of an AAoAs do you really need

@red259 wrote:

People always talk about their AAoAs and many worry about it excessively. I figure at some point with your AAoA you reach a number where everything after that has minimal impact in terms of card approvals. For example you could have a 20 year AAoAs , but someone with a 10 year AAoA (all else being equal) would likely have the same results when apping. So at what point do you not need to worry about your AAoAs as much?

Well, say Mr. A has 20 years on his AAoAs and Mr. B has only 10 years. Anything past 9 years is excelent and anything below starts lowering your potential. You get ranked. 7-8 is Good and 5-6 is fair etc. So the guy with 20 years will have more buying power than the guy with 10 years because after every gain in accounts you start getting a lower AAoA and eventually, Mr.B will be told that his AAoA is not high enough to get this loan. With each inquiry (i mean gain in account i.e credit, loans), you are losing maybe close to a year on your AAoA. Just do the average and you can basically see. Well, that is my take on it. and AAOA is 15% of the credit score.

Message 2 of 10
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Minimal impact. However when one applies and receives new credit card, it does lower AAoA. Generally all equal after 8-9 years of AAoA, it won't matter much, all else equal. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 3 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Generally, an AAoA of 5 or more years should be more than adequate for scoring purposes. However, age of oldest account (length of credit history) is a factor as well. Credit histories over 10 years age are viewed positively.If credit history spans 20 years, AAoA may not be weighed as heavily as a profile with only 6 years total credit history.

Card approvals are not really dictated by AAoA. It is more about how much new credit you have applied for recently, length of credit history, Fico score, reported income and to a lesser degree aggregate CL already on file.

Edit add: I forgot to mention the big one - AGGREGATE UTILIZATION status when applying for new credit. High AG UT (above 30%) may mean no go.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Generally, an AAoA of 5 or more years should be more than adequate for scoring purposes. However, age of oldest account (length of credit history) is a factor as well. Credit histories over 10 years age are viewed positively.If credit history spans 20 years, AAoA may not be weighed as heavily as a profile with only 6 years total credit history.

Card approvals are not really dictated by AAoA. It is more about how much new credit you have applied for recently, length of credit history, Fico score, reported income and to a lesser degree aggregate CL already on file.

Edit add: I forgot to mention the big one - AGGREGATE UTILIZATION status when applying for new credit. High AG UT (above 30%) may mean no go.

OP - thanks for that interesting question and  TT - thanks for this explanation. I was always wondering why I did not see much score impact by cutting my AAoA from 18yrs (2 accounts) down to less than 3 yrs in 2013 (8 accounts) and this could be my answer now as there is 1 account with 30yrs of history.  Smiley Happy   What I noticed by falling below 6 yrs I could not reach 800 anymore but 799....lol.

Message 5 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

FYI - Info on age of oldest account

Oldest account chart.gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 10
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

I've been surveying the forum the last couple of weeks with respect to their AAoA and scores.  Feel free to take a look below.  Most of people's scores are going to weigh much more heavily on their other credit factors.  We've seen very high scores will low AAoA and 800s start to break in at the 4 year level.   Any FICOs over 760 give significatnly diminished returns when it comes to securing the best rates.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Study-AAoA-and-max-FICO-score-Forum-Surve...

Message 7 of 10
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I assume that Age of Oldest Account doesn't have much influence on changing FICO past 10 years.

The reason I would assume that is that closed accounts age off at 10 years. I personally have a "true"

AoOA of about 35 years, but all my accounts older than 22 years are long since closed and aged off

my reports. My FICO AoOA is 22 years since that is the oldest account still open within the last 10 years. 

Likewise, for a fairly thin but old file like mine, my AAoA is skewed by the missing decade of old open accounts.

I had 2 auto loans and 2 credit cards over thirty years ago that have long since disappeared. I have 7 cards and

3 mortgage accounts on my current report with the oldest being 22 years and the average being 11 years. My AAoA

would leap by over a decade if my old accounts were included. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 8 of 10
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@olehammer wrote:

I've been surveying the forum the last couple of weeks with respect to their AAoA and scores.  Feel free to take a look below.  Most of people's scores are going to weigh much more heavily on their other credit factors.  We've seen very high scores will low AAoA and 800s start to break in at the 4 year level.   Any FICOs over 760 give significatnly diminished returns when it comes to securing the best rates.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Study-AAoA-and-max-FICO-score-Forum-Surve...

I like your survey and it asks some good questions and gives us some interesting things to look at, but be careful:

This is a self selected universe, particularly in the area of low AAoA.  In other words, the people here with relatively low AAoA are by definition more interested in the effects of FICO scores and their inputs, and are very likely more to be doing the things OTHER than AAoA to effect a positive score relative to the general population.  Point being, those folks with 800s and 4 years AAoA are likely to be outliers to some degree with regards to the effects AAoA has on the average credit profile.  

(Don't mean to imply that I disagree that things other than AAoA are relatively more important)

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 9 of 10
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

@olehammer wrote:

I like your survey and it asks some good questions and gives us some interesting things to look at, but be careful:

This is a self selected universe, particularly in the area of low AAoA.  In other words, the people here with relatively low AAoA are by definition more interested in the effects of FICO scores and their inputs, and are very likely more to be doing the things OTHER than AAoA to effect a positive score relative to the general population.  Point being, those folks with 800s and 4 years AAoA are likely to be outliers to some degree with regards to the effects AAoA has on the average credit profile.  

(Don't mean to imply that I disagree that things other than AAoA are relatively more important)

Well, this is what I was doing -> http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/My-Credit-Journey-snapshot-Road-to-800/m-...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.