Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve mortgage Fico scores

tag
tparvaiz
Contributor

How to improve mortgage Fico scores

Hi,

my current Fico scores are in mid to low 700s (mortgage related) and want to bring it closer to 800 mark.

I currently have 3 credit cards. With the combine limit around 1000. I try to keep the balance around $10

dont have any other loans or mortgages.

please advise how to improve my credit score without impacting it negatively as I am planning to secure a mortgage soon.

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: How to improve mortgage Fico scores

760 MMS should land you best rate. What is your current MMS?

Are you currently at AZEO All Zero Except One card reporting a balance?

Message 2 of 6
tparvaiz
Contributor

My current mms is 727 and I am just reporting balance of less than $10 on one credit card... these are the factors impacting my middle mortgage score

- You've recently been looking for credit.
 You have missed payments or derogatory indicators on your credit accounts.
 You have a short credit history.
 You have too few or too many credit accounts.

thanks

Message 3 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Question when did you open the credit card accounts?

The score factors are stating you recently were looking for credit a short credit history can be due to newly opened accounts

and or the average length of time these accounts were opened.

@tparvaiz 

Question: Do you have any acounts with missed payments or comments that might be considered derogatory?

The second score factor is indicating this.

Question what is your credit utilization?  To calculate this it is the balance owed on revolving account divided by the total credit limits on revolving accounts.

Initial advice is stop applying for new credit for now.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke with a mortgage banker yesterday about my situation. My mms is 729 and he said the rate is 2.75 conventional with a 720 and score of 740 will get you the best rate which is 2.65. He was adamant that 740 gets the best rate. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tparvaiz wrote:

My current mms is 727 and I am just reporting balance of less than $10 on one credit card... these are the factors impacting my middle mortgage score

- You've recently been looking for credit.
 You have missed payments or derogatory indicators on your credit accounts.
 You have a short credit history.
 You have too few or too many credit accounts.

thanks

@tparvaiz 727 is not bad. According to your negative Reason Codes, the inquiries are harming your score the most and that will resolve itself 365 days from each inquiry. 

any missed payments are harming you the most next. Whenever your most recent missed payment was, you get points back at 6 months 12 months and 24 months.

reason number 3, you can't do nothing but wait your file is young.

Reason number 4 is because you don't have very many accounts which is why you added some previously. It's telling you that you would gain points from adding more accounts. The flipside is it would also cost you points as a result of the inquiry and reduction in aging and it will extend the new account penalty that you're already under. That's why I told you previously to get them and then you have to stop and let some age go by. 

now you need to wait for some of those inquiries to drop off and the score will go up. I know you're in a hurry so that's the best thing you can do at this point while maintaining one card reporting a small balance. 

we could examine your other reason codes. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.