Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase mortgage score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to increase mortgage score?

Mortgage score is low compared to regular fico score. What can I do to up the scrore?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to increase mortgage score?

General answer is to lower utilization, pay bills on time, and have negative items removed. What does your credit history look like?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Mortgage score is low compared to regular fico score. What can I do to up the scrore?

Tell us a bit about your credit profile and you will get better responses as to how to improve your file.  Whhat are your scores?  What is holding it down? How old is your file?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going through the same thing right now.  I have worked for 5 months to raise my credit score up from not having much credit besides student loans.  I didn't know that the Experian FICO 8 score is not what mortgage lenders use.  I had to lower my student loan payments when I did the IBR at 0 repayment I was told by first lender that he couldn't help me because I don't show enough years of payments. The second one said the amount and balances of my student loans was too high and to consolidate them, and then said with the IBR at 0 he couldn't help me.  At this point I was frustrated and just decided to take a break until my student loan consolidation went through.  Well in the meantime the rental I'm in sold which meant I had to try and get approved luckily my consolidation came through a couple days later.  Third lender was quicken loans, I called for a morgage review and specifically asked the guy not to run my credit without giving him my social I figured I was safe, nope he did a hard hit on my credit.  This brings me to the 4th one, I remembered that the company I work for had a partnership with Wells Fargo and offered an employee mortgage program so I called.  The girl was very helpful and listened to my whole story.  I told her my fico 8 score was 670 my debt was only 2 credit cards with only 300 limit on each plus 66,000 in student loans with a 0 payment through IBR, the house I was interested in was a foreclosure for 65,000, she emailed me all the info on what my amounts would be and I told her we would do preapproval on Tuesday.  On Tuesday waiting for her to call I checked my credit score and it dropped 6 points I then realized that mortgage lenders use FICO 2 so I payed the 10 bucks to get it and it was only 614.  It showed high utilization on my cards which I paid 1 to 0 and the other kept a 28 balance on now I'm waiting for them to report to credit agencies.  I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do at this point.  Any advice is so greatly appreciated.  Thanks for listening to this long rant.

Message 4 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

General answer is to lower utilization, pay bills on time, and have negative items removed. What does your credit history look like?

+1

I agree, this is most of where you're going to find improvement.  There are other little things that can be done also, but this tends to have the most impact.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Bonniejean - head over to the mortgage subforum here at MyFICO to read about how student loans impact your mortgage approval.  You got one of the "application takers" at Wells Fargo (rather than one of the trained LO's) that hasn't kept up with the new Federal requirements for underwriting people with student loans. I don't want you to operate with mis-information, so please read the stickies at the top of the mortgage section.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/bd-p/loans

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm aware of the new requirements she also checked for me but I'm not going fha I'm going traditional so I am not stuck with fha requirements and at most it will be 1% which she said I will still be ok for the price of the home
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I will check them out I read some but not all
Message 8 of 13
jamie123
Valued Contributor

The FICO mortgage scores seem to be a much tougher nut to crack than the FICO 08 scores. I think they put more weight on AAoA and ratio of installment loan paid off versus starting balance than FICO 08 does.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

The FICO mortgage scores seem to be a much tougher nut to crack than the FICO 08 scores. I think they put more weight on AAoA and ratio of installment loan paid off versus starting balance than FICO 08 does.

Do you mind sharing why you believe this to be true? I would love add'l literature if you have it Smiley Happy Thx!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.