cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will new credit effect my score, and for how long?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will new credit effect my score, and for how long?

I started with a 638, paid all credit cards down to zero (about $30K) and my score went up to 721 within 2 months. I was happy wth that.

So I replaced my car with an $8K balance with a new leased car and applied for 2 new credit cards. I was approved for both-- an AMEX for $3700 and I just heard today that I was approved for another card with a $25K limit.

I assume the short term result will be a score drop, even if I don't use any of the cards beyond the "charge something little and pay it immediately" recommendation (and I do not think I will need to do so.)

But I am also guessing that the new cards with their pristine credit lines will have a long term effect of increasing my score. Yes? How long should this take, again assuming no new credit usage or any other new negatives?  And how much should it increase?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How will new credit effect my score, and for how long?

New CC accounts with a new inq might have a negative affect on your scores for 6-12 months. Some see decreases in scores, some increases and others not much change with a new account and an inq. If your score was 721 before you applied, I suspect you will see some drop. How much, nobody really knows. High credit limits can help lower your util. Floating a balance on these cards of 1-9% util might give you a few more FICO points too.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

what happened to me this week may say it all....

last Thursday, i got a signature line offer, and i applied and got 10k limit but took no money yet.

over the weekend, i was regretting (was going to call and have new LOC closed) the new credit because i just got my mid-score from 651 to 711 over the last few months....figuring the new credit would cause my score to go down.

yesterday, i get an equifax alert that the new LOC reported and my score went up to 713, up 2 pts.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations you 2! And the good news keeps pouring in. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

rrm wrote:
what happened to me this week may say it all....

last Thursday, i got a signature line offer, and i applied and got 10k limit but took no money yet.

over the weekend, i was regretting (was going to call and have new LOC closed) the new credit because i just got my mid-score from 651 to 711 over the last few months....figuring the new credit would cause my score to go down.

yesterday, i get an equifax alert that the new LOC reported and my score went up to 713, up 2 pts.

This LOC, if reporting as revolving, must have really lowered your cumulative util%. Nice, very nice!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.