cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would it affect your Credit Score to move a student loan to a Balance Transfer Card?

tag
leo222
Contributor

How would it affect your Credit Score to move a student loan to a Balance Transfer Card?

I, like many others, have been enjoying having student loans on 0% interest since Covid started...This will eventually end on January of next year. I am considering putting my loan on a balance transfer card - I believe my loan APR is already pretty low (somewhere between 5.1-5.2%), but some of the balance transfer offers out there work out, on an annualized basis, to be something like 1.75-2%/yr. My understanding is that student loans don't really affect your credit score, so I'm wondering how adding additional debt would affect your FICO. This would increase my overall CC debt by about 18%, but probably wouldn't do much to my utilization (which is ~14'ish% rn), since it would be a new balance transfer card. Also, I should note that the new BT card will be / is to roll over a previous balance transfer that is expiring in December.

Edit - Just read somewhere else that you can't use a balance transfer for student loans. I would delete this thread if I could, but don't see a way to do so!

1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How would it affect your Credit Score to move a student loan to a Balance Transfer Card?

How much are you looking to transfer? There are companies that will refinance your SL for 2% or less. Cant post a name on here. On the other side. There are some credit card companies that wont do it. Research online and you'll see the pros and cons. I did find these banks who will. But JMO I'd refinance with the companies I saw online.

Bank of America
Capital One
Chase
Citi
Discover
Wells Fargo

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.