Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would my credit score be affected

Highlighted
Visitor

How would my credit score be affected

Hello

I am an authorized user on my mothers credit card. Her credit limit is $4400 and a 0 balance. I was wondering how will it affect my credit score if I have a balance of $1000 on it. Currently my credit utilization is around 3%

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: How would my credit score be affected

You should expect a score decrease. If for no other reason, the individual utilization on that card will cross a few thresholds.

While it’s fairly impossible to say how much of a decrease at all, it’s even impossible to speculate without more info : how many cards do you have, what are their limits and what are their current balances?
Personal Credit -
AMEX: Platinum, Green, Blue Cash Preferred, Schwab Investor
PNC: Cash Rewards, Points
NFCU: Flaghship Rewards, Cash Rewards, More Rewards, CLOC
PSECU: Founders
BB&T: Spectrum Cash Rewards
CapOne: Quicksilver
Discover: IT Chrome, IT
Synchrony: PayPal 2%, PayPal Credit
Barclays: Uber
PenFed: Power Cash Rewards
Store Cards: Target
AU Cards: Citi Rewards+

Business Credit-
AMEX: Delta Gold, Amazon Prime, Simply Cash Plus
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Welcome. I respectfully disagree.

Actually if that’s your only AU account, you will actually realize a score increase because you’re receiving the “no revolving AU penalty” for it being at zero. (When all AU accounts are at zero, there is a no revolving AU balance penalty.) This is if the account actually counts and is not filtered out by the anti-abuse algorithm for versions eight and nine.

And individual revolving utilization thresholds are believed to begin at 28.9% so you shouldn’t cross a threshold and you should not receive any decrease, unless you cross a threshold by increasing the number of accounts with a balance.

One last thing, there may be a couple point loss just for the raw dollar amount, but I doubt that since you already have other balances elsewhere. So the result will be the combination of the above.
For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Updated June 2020, unless otherwise noted. I took an HP on EX, will reflect on next update.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/AU-experiment-amp-score-drops-from-small...
For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Updated June 2020, unless otherwise noted. I took an HP on EX, will reflect on next update.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@mobilekidz wrote:

Hello

I am an authorized user on my mothers credit card. Her credit limit is $4400 and a 0 balance. I was wondering how will it affect my credit score if I have a balance of $1000 on it. Currently my credit utilization is around 3%

I do not think it will affect your score to report a $1000 balance on that card.

Total revolving limits 648500 (572500 reporting) FICO 8 EQ 728 TU 755 EX 732

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.