cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would my credit score be affected

Visitor

How would my credit score be affected

Hello

I am an authorized user on my mothers credit card. Her credit limit is $4400 and a 0 balance. I was wondering how will it affect my credit score if I have a balance of $1000 on it. Currently my credit utilization is around 3%

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: How would my credit score be affected

You should expect a score decrease. If for no other reason, the individual utilization on that card will cross a few thresholds.

While it’s fairly impossible to say how much of a decrease at all, it’s even impossible to speculate without more info : how many cards do you have, what are their limits and what are their current balances?
Personal Credit -
AMEX: Platinum, Gold, Blue Cash Preferred, Schwab Investor
PNC: Cash Rewards, Points
NFCU: Flaghship Rewards, Cash Rewards, More Rewards, CLOC
PSECU: Founders
BB&T: Spectrum Cash Rewards
CapOne: Quicksilver
Discover: IT Chrome, IT
Synchrony: PayPal 2%, PayPal Credit
Barclays: Uber
PenFed: Power Cash Rewards, Platinum Rewards
Alliant: Visa Signature
Store Cards: Target, Macy’s
AU Cards: Citi Rewards+

Business Credit-
AMEX: Delta Gold, Amazon Prime, Simply Cash Plus
PNC: Visa Business
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Welcome. I respectfully disagree.

Actually if that’s your only AU account, you will actually realize a score increase because you’re receiving the “no revolving AU penalty” for it being at zero. (When all AU accounts are at zero, there is a no revolving AU balance penalty.) This is if the account actually counts and is not filtered out by the anti-abuse algorithm for versions eight and nine.

And individual revolving utilization thresholds are believed to begin at 28.9% so you shouldn’t cross a threshold and you should not receive any decrease, unless you cross a threshold by increasing the number of accounts with a balance.

One last thing, there may be a couple point loss just for the raw dollar amount, but I doubt that since you already have other balances elsewhere. So the result will be the combination of the above.
-Our Community’s updated scoring wisdom: Link to Scoring Primer.
-For Negative Reason Codes see: CassieCard’s Score Factors thread.
-ccquest’s workbook to calculate metrics for you: Link to Workbook.

Oct 2020 New Account Scorecard.Nov 2020, No New Account Scorecard (reassignment conflated with aging. EX9 not updated yet. Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

RIP:
(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/AU-experiment-amp-score-drops-from-small...
-Our Community’s updated scoring wisdom: Link to Scoring Primer.
-For Negative Reason Codes see: CassieCard’s Score Factors thread.
-ccquest’s workbook to calculate metrics for you: Link to Workbook.

Oct 2020 New Account Scorecard.Nov 2020, No New Account Scorecard (reassignment conflated with aging. EX9 not updated yet. Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

RIP:
(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@mobilekidz wrote:

Hello

I am an authorized user on my mothers credit card. Her credit limit is $4400 and a 0 balance. I was wondering how will it affect my credit score if I have a balance of $1000 on it. Currently my credit utilization is around 3%

I do not think it will affect your score to report a $1000 balance on that card.

Total revolving limits 653000 (575000 reporting)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.