Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband/wife credit question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Husband/wife credit question

When our credit gets pulled for things such as credit cards, it's on my husbands credit alone. I am an authorized user on 2 of the 4 cards we have. I have only used his credit and SS# for card applications because he is the one with the income. I am a SAHM. Our mortgage and recent auto loan has my name on it. When credit was pulled in December for auto loan my husbands score was 640 and mine was 560! Needless to say, it was harder to get a good rate.

How is that? Should I become a authorized user on all cards? I don't think I would get any new cards without stating any true income right?

It's not a huge deal going off husbands credit, but in situations like our auto loan or a mortgage I would like my score higher.

Thanks for any input!!!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Husband/wife credit question

@Anonymous wrote:
When our credit gets pulled for things such as credit cards, it's on my husbands credit alone. I am an authorized user on 2 of the 4 cards we have. I have only used his credit and SS# for card applications because he is the one with the income. I am a SAHM. Our mortgage and recent auto loan has my name on it. When credit was pulled in December for auto loan my husbands score was 640 and mine was 560! Needless to say, it was harder to get a good rate.

How is that? Should I become a authorized user on all cards? I don't think I would get any new cards without stating any true income right?

It's not a huge deal going off husbands credit, but in situations like our auto loan or a mortgage I would like my score higher.

Thanks for any input!!!

You need to post the details of what's actually on your report for us to give you any useful advice.  Revolving tradelines (the AU CC's) in terms of current balance and limit (which you did in your other post), ideally date opened too and if they're AU's, installment tradelines, current balance and original balance, and again ideally date opened... and then pretty much any negatives you have (collections, tax liens, lates, etc.) and what the date is on those.  

i.e. in my case:

CC's:

BOFA 0/2500  10/2011

Amex 0/9000  01/2012

DCU 12/500  02/2012

<etc>

Installment:

Mortgage 250k/255k 07/2015

Negatives:

20/60 late from 8/2010 on old BOFA card

Cali state tax lien filed 12/2010

I would suggest, you should get a couple of credit cards on your own, and you can use household income on the majority if not all credit applications at this point.  The reason for this is if something happens to hubby, those AU's vanish and now you have zero positive tradelines.  Stuff happens, consider it as a cheap form of life insurance.

Also there are some anti-abuse flags in FICO 8 and FICO 9 when it comes to AU's, we don't really know how they work and while it's *supposed* to work in your case (husband and wife) it might not.  Better in all ways to have 2-3 cards of your own, even if you barely ever use them and use the AU's for the majority of your spending.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.