cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know it has been asked/discussed before, but...

tag
niceassets
Valued Member

I know it has been asked/discussed before, but...

I've just read about 20 different threads and I am still not sure who/what to believe when it comes to this question: What is the best, or the most reasonable way to guess your scores when there is such a wide swing from different 3rd parties? For ex., currently I show a wide range of scores, with no real consistency, except that they all average right around 700ish (if they're accurate)

• Credit Karma  - TU=731   EQ=730
  • Experian.com (FICO 8)  - TU=619     EQ=609     EX=690    
  • Credit One Bank (my CC) - VantageScore 3.0 =707
  • Self lender - VantageScore 3.0 =706

The reason is, I want to apply for a Citi 2% rewards card, but I know I need a minimum 690. I feel like I'm likely very close, but maybe I should wait... I definitely don't want the dreaded decline.

4/20/2020 - EQ 646, TU 596, EX 596
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: I know it has been asked/discussed before, but...

Forget your vantage scores most lender do not use them for lending purposes that's why they are free.Only focus on your FICO scores .

citibank has been known to pull 2 so if they pull EXP and EQ or TU you may not be approved .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@niceassets wrote:

I've just read about 20 different threads and I am still not sure who/what to believe when it comes to this question: What is the best, or the most reasonable way to guess your scores when there is such a wide swing from different 3rd parties? For ex., currently I show a wide range of scores, with no real consistency, except that they all average right around 700ish (if they're accurate)

The reason is, I want to apply for a Citi 2% rewards card, but I know I need a minimum 690. I feel like I'm likely very close, but maybe I should wait... I definitely don't want the dreaded decline.

As @Jnbmom slated. Vantage for approvals is meaningless. Work on getting your scores at or above 700 for better odds of approval and lower APR's. Take care of the baddies first. Then peek around for better things.

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@niceassets wrote:

The best way is to buy a 3 bureau report from MyFICO.com.  Then you'll know all of your important FICO scores, and some not so important ones too.

Disregard the Vantage scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
niceassets
Valued Member

Just curious, what is Vantage good for then? Not disagreeing, but I'm asking because millions of people use Credit Karma, but it uses Vantage.

Is it just a scam or worthless since my scores reporting there are literally over 100pts higher than what Experian reports for FICO 8.

Message 5 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@niceassets wrote:

Just curious, what is Vantage good for then? Not disagreeing, but I'm asking because millions of people use Credit Karma, but it uses Vantage.

Is it just a scam or worthless since my scores reporting there are literally over 100pts higher than what Experian reports for FICO 8.

It's not a scam  and it's free and it's good for monitoring your reports , but  most lenders don't use vantage scores they use FICO scoring . So use it for monitoring but disregard the scores .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 10
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Fico.. all the way (Citi will judge you by your FICO + any BK or negatives on your accounts).
Make sure to have your Fico scores, and pull your free Credit Reports too (AnnualCreditReport.com) if you haven't already.

Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What baddies do you have that we can help with to get your FICO scores higher.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@niceassets  I know how tempted you must feel to submit that new Citibank application, but I recommend not doing it. Your FICO score is definitely the one to focus on. As you notice, your FICO scores are dramatically lower than your VantageScores, but please trust them. I know it's cliché to say, but letting your current accounts age is so important. I recommend submitting no new applications. Let your accounts age. Keep all your credit cards at zero, except keep a tiny balance on only one card. Have an installment loan that is preferably small and with a low monthly payment, like a share secured loan at the credit union. And only look at your FICO scores. As serious time passes, your future prospects will blossom.

Message 9 of 10
niceassets
Valued Member

Thank you, thank you to everyone who has replied. It is very much appreciated, really a HUGE help guys/gals! Smiley Happy

Great to see some police/fire/military here too! I am a veteran. US Army, Reserves, and Nat'l Guard. HOOOOAH

@FireMedic1 

I don't have a bunch of baddies tbh. My EQ report says "2 Accounts with negative information", but I can't seem to figure out what. When I drill down, I have no late pays on loans, cards, nothing public/judgements, no BK... so I'm not sure what is is exactly. I do have 1 really old auto repo/charge-off (I cosigned for an ex-gf, long story...from 2012ish)

@Anonymous 

I will follow that advice exactly sir, TY. I think I'm pretty close rn in fact.

Here is what I currently have in total credit avail and debt/loans:

1. NFCU Cash Rewards Visa: $3,000 limit - bal $214.11  (I do use this card regularly for all purchases because it has rewards/points, so sometimes the balance gets way up there, but I always pay it down or bring it to $0 quickly... within days/week max.)
  2. Self Lender cc: $650 limit - bal $0
  3. Credit One AmEx:  $800 limit - bal $0
  4. Ally bank (auto loan): $21,525 
  5. Baystone Acceptance (auto loan): $6,200

Here is the biggest debt, but it is FOR SALE! I love it, just need to get out from underneath of it. Smiley Sad

for-sale-Jeep.jpg

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.