Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm A Credit Virgin And I Want It To Be Special

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm A Credit Virgin And I Want It To Be Special

IMO, 3 CCs are the minimim that I have found for better scoring. However the reason I say more is % of balances and UTL. Since I have found it best to show at least minimum revolving credit for most people if you have 3 CCs and use 1 you have no room for anything else should you need to carry another balance and stay below 50%. Yes if you get another account it also will be counted in total number of accounts but how many new accounts you get compared to your current nuber or history I believe is counted too. Therefor I like to see at least 4 CCs. More CCs can definitely help in the long run if you ever go credit happy later to hold up age and keep % of reported balances lower.

As for installment loans, 2 are better than 1. They are counted more for older credit profiles. The newer profiles under 4 years I don't think are factored in so much. However eventually you will get pasted the newbie bucket and what then, you will need those installment loans. So best to get them out of the way now.

Don't worry so much about a long term loan. They are for keeping an installment "open" for a few more points. Once you close them in a few years you give back the "open" points. I think you are pretty much scored the same if you have it for 2 years or 5 years ect... I'd recommend 2 or 3 different types of loans.

I don't think CL on loans or CCs are too important as long as you stay in a target UTL. Higher CLs do help get you other higher CLs later under manual review. If you have a $300 CL it is more likely your next lender will give you a lower CL compared to if you have a $5k CL to start with.

So I'd say 4 or more CCs, 4 being fine. Use 1 each month switching to another. Check all 4 to be sure there are $0 balances just in case of a late posting transaction or fraud charge. I would get 2 installment loans.

Here's the catch. Too many new accounts can hurt too. But I think it all goes away after 12 months. You might see a lower score for the moment when you get things going.

Hey if you can do 6 CCs and 3 installments you might do even better in the "long run". Remember being in the newbie bucket may not reflect these mix advantages for a few years. But they definitely matter later!!! If you plan to have an avg age over 6 years in 6 years you pretty much need to get most of your applying out of the way as fast as possible to let everything start to age. Get in to the NO ANNUAL FEE credit cards as soon as possible to keep them.

Once you have 4-6 CCs and 2-3 installments and an avg age of 4+ years your fine. Most of what I know about rasing scores are for older profiles where specific mixes are more important. The newbie bucket doesn't care so much.

hmm. So thinking about what really matters is payment history. Yea, so more credit cards = more payment history faster...! I'd still get loans for later, 2-3.

So here would be my plan.

3 secured credit cards now.

2 installment loans.

Wait for all this to report in your CR.

Then wait 6 months before doing anything else from that date.

in 6 months (after your newest account is reported) try to get 1 CC with no annual fee.

in 9 months try to get another cc with no annual fee.

in 12 months try to upgrade all 3 secured CCs to no annual fee cards.

(Once you have 3+ no annual fee cards close the remaining secured cards if any)

Keep trying to add 1 new CC every 3 months after this until you reach 4 NAFee cards.

After 4 no annual fee cards the rest is up to you if you want to keep getting more cards. You will have a very nice score at this point either way.

* For the first 6 months I'd let every account show activity or balances since it won't matter yet.

* After the first 6 months limit to 50% or less reported balances.

Stay away from consumer finance.

As far as adding 1 retail card.... I don't know. Still haven't found proof that people adding a retail card added points. They might have gained points by adding a bankcard too? I'm still looking for someone who has added more bankcard CCs with no point gain then added a retail CC and gained points. As of now I havn't seen it. Retail might gain, just I personally haven't had the chance to see it. I'm still working on it. However I don't think 1 retail card will have a negative affect as long as the bal is $0. Activity on retail is fine if you PIF before the due date. Not so sure about carrying a bal on retail. Havn't tested it yet.

So if you want to get a retail card you can, can't see the harm in just one. Don't really know if it will help more than a bankcard CC. Cards will go dormant after 6 months so only apply for something that you can use at least every 6 months.

That's pretty much it.

And in the end keep UTL under 4%. 

Message 31 of 62
marty56
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

*** Post title of the century!!! ***

I'm sorry, it's going to take me a while to recover from this one. whew

I love a challenge.  I'll think of something.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 32 of 62
pdxuser
Contributor

Wow, thanks so much, everybody! So if 50% or more with balances is bad, are mortgages included in that formula? I know mortgages are calculated differently for some things (I don't know what). The reason I ask is that when I eventually do get a mortgage, I want to still have as good a score as I can. So...

4 cards + 1 install + 1 mort = 3 balances on 6 lines, since I want to have one small balance on one card, right? And that's 50%. Am I doing this right?

Also, all I have access to is the FICO estimator, but it boosted my score by 20pts for having an open installment loan on a short credit history. Does the simulator disagree?

Message 33 of 62
MattH
Senior Contributor

@pdxuser wrote:

Wow, thanks so much, everybody! So if 50% or more with balances is bad, are mortgages included in that formula? I know mortgages are calculated differently for some things (I don't know what). The reason I ask is that when I eventually do get a mortgage, I want to still have as good a score as I can. So...

4 cards + 1 install + 1 mort = 3 balances on 6 lines, since I want to have one small balance on one card, right? And that's 50%. Am I doing this right?

Also, all I have access to is the FICO estimator, but it boosted my score by 20pts for having an open installment loan on a short credit history. Does the simulator disagree?

Well, when I pull my FICO reports the Experian boilerplate phrase is "too many credit cards carrying balances" so I believe mortgages and other installment accounts are in a distinct category.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 34 of 62
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

edit to clarify:

• 50% or fewer of all open accounts (revolving, installment, mortgage, lines of credit)
  • fewer than 50% of all open revolving accounts
--the lower figure is the one you go with
  • minimal revolving util
--don't worry about installment util, although the first month that it reports, showing 100%, you'll probably get a nasty-gram --it will go away the next month.

So for instance:
1 mortgage, 2 installments, 4 CC's:
--mortgage and installments will always report balances --> 3/7 accounts with balances; 4/7 is too many, so no CC's can report

1 mortgage, 2 installments, 5 CC's:
--mortgage and installments count for 3; you can have 4/8 report, so one CC can also report a balance
--fewer than 50% of 5 CC's is two, but the other formula says only one can report, so you have to go with that

hope that makes sense?
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-26-2008 04:58 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 35 of 62
pdxuser
Contributor

That does make sense HTSU, thanks!

ilovepizza, why do you lean toward two installs as optimal? 

Message 36 of 62
pdxuser
Contributor

Also, it seems like some people like to have an Amex, a Discover, an MC and a Visa. Why is that? It's not considered as a credit mix, is it? And is there anything special about charge cards for a FICO score?
Message 37 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase ID Protection shows that your credit cards are being reported monthly to each credit scoring company.

Sounds like you have a solid plan for a good FICO future. Although I'd apply for credit cards over a longer term basis rather than all at once. As a matter of fact, I just have one credit card myself. No loans, nothing else but the one card. Just keep it paid off in full every month with a low utilization reported to the credit bureaus and everything is good to go. I suppose I could boost the available credit by getting another card. But with a paid off balance, the debt-credit limit ratio is already low.

I've thought about getting another card from time to time. But the Chase Freedom card is hard to beat. No annual, 3% cash back. I get the equivilent of 6% in airline miles, which is handy for flying back to Canada to visit family/friends.

What I've found is that if you have no credit history, it's fairly easy to get a good credit score. Faster than you'd think. When I moved to the US, my credit score was non existent. I couldn't even pull a credit report in December 2007 because none existed on myself.

I like to follow the Keep It Simple aspect of credit. Others prefer 5 cards and a loan. I don't.  Either way works. The key is perfecting the credit you have. I figured it would take 3-5 years to get a FICO in the mid 700's starting from nothing. But I was wrong.

Message Edited by Cheapskate on 10-26-2008 11:07 PM
Message 38 of 62
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

pdxuser wrote:
Also, it seems like some people like to have an Amex, a Discover, an MC and a Visa. Why is that? It's not considered as a credit mix, is it? And is there anything special about charge cards for a FICO score?

Lots of people like to have one from each, sort of the credit version of Seven Summitting, I guess. No benefits for scoring. I suppose if you had only Visas or only MC's it could be a pain if their network went down, but otherwise it's strictly personal taste.

Charge cards, as in the classic American Express cards that don't normally let you revolve (Green, Gold, Plat, Centurion) do not help your scoring mix. But straight retail cards, as mentioned above, do help, and many people still call store cards "charge cards"; thus the confusion. There's even a spot on credit reports where the word charge shows up on store cards. But they are revolving, not PIF-monthly charge cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 39 of 62
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I experienced my best score from having one installment loan open and one revolving card open reporting low util <9%. The score went to 790. When I got smart and started apping for other cards, it hasn't been so good. Although, I will let you all know what happens when I finish my rehab property Smiley Mad and get my util back under control.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.