Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m going to pay all of my CC off!

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: I’m going to pay all of my CC off!

BBB-- I was thinking along the same lines but concerned those recent lates would somewhat cap OPs score increase potential as they are under the 2 year mark. I saw the same scenario on someone else's (seemingly similar) profile where I expected a 60+ point increase for bringing down 82% util but, in the end, they only garnered 24 points. The only explanation I could come up with was recency of derogs.

So you don't believe that would at all be an issue?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wouldn't be an issue because the negative items fall into the "payment history" slice of the FICO pie, which comprises slightly more (35%) of one's score compared to the 30% from the "amounts owed" sector.  With the presence of major negative items or even recent minors, that 35% slice of the pie is going to be severely impacted, but that is independent of the 30% of the FICO pie that the OP is referencing with respect to dropping his utilization significantly.

Whether or not someone has a clean or dirty score card can impact the signal strength of other scoring factors such as utilization, but I don't believe this difference to be significant.  Here's an example with shooting from the hip numbers to illustrate what I mean:

Cornelius and Rupert have identical credit reports in all areas except for payment history.  While Cornelius has a squeaky clean credit report, Rupert has at least 1 recent account with a major negative item, thus landing him a dirty scorecard.  Like the OP, they both sit at 91% utilization and like the OP, both are about to pay off all their revolving debt.  Cornelius has a current score of 670, while Rupert has a current score of 560.  They both pay off all of their revolving debt.  Cornelius' score increases to 755 and Rupert's increases to 635.  In this example, Cornelius gained 10 more points than Rupert did for the same event.  The reason for the 10 point variance could be because of the different signal strength of the utilization change relative to a clean verses dirty file.

Payment history and Amounts owed together comprise 2/3 of a FICO score.  As a complete generalization, if you see a profile with both of these factors bad, scores may be in the mid 500's.  If you see one of these factors bad, mid 600's.  Neither of them bad, mid 700's.  Certainly there are exceptions and variations along the way, but that's sort of what I've come to see most of the time.   

Message 12 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Excellent BBB, thanks!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.