cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a quick bump - Mortgage scores are so much lower!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need a quick bump - Mortgage scores are so much lower!

Hello all:

Applying for a jumbo loan in California, and I'm still amazed at the difference between the consumer numbers and the numbers our lender gave us (which are lower still than the Fico 2 that MyFico shows).

My Experian is 704, Equifax 680, Transunion 689. I need that middle score (TransUnion) bumped - ideally to 700+. 

Any ideas? FWIW, my Fico Score 8 numbers are Esperian 742, Equifax 757, TransUnion 750. I have no credit card debt, $25k in student loans, and a $20k car loan that I've never missed a payment on.

3 90-day lates in 2014 on a student loan that are reporting 3 times each because the loan is a consolidation - one payment. I changed banks and moved and the loans came out of forebearance. I've been carrying that shame around my neck for 3 years now. 

ALL ideas would be so helpful.

Thank you!
Kristen

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need a quick bump - Mortgage scores are so much lower!

If you can get those delinquencies removed, assuming they are your only baddies you stand to see a 40-60 point gain most likely.  I'd target them hardcore and see what you can do to get them off of your report.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. What would you do to get them off?  How do you even do that?  Every time I call a creditor to ask them to remove something, they say, "We are legally bound to report correctly and cannot remove correct information from your account."

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your util like? Do you currently have any installment loans reporting open?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using 0% of my revolving credit limits ($40,000 in available credit), and I have 2 open loans reporting - a $20,000 car loan ($329 month payment) and a $25,000 student loan consolidation ($210 month payment).
Message 5 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Charge something small, and allow the balance to report. FICO penalizes you if all revolving balances are zero. Given that the need for a score bump seems to be urgent, do this on the card that'll be reporting the soonest.

Pay in full every month, and repeat the process with a new charge.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kris10house wrote:

Awesome. What would you do to get them off?  How do you even do that?  Every time I call a creditor to ask them to remove something, they say, "We are legally bound to report correctly and cannot remove correct information from your account."

Calls from what I've seen are the least effective way of getting them off.  You also have no written record of your conversation so even if they were to agree to something, if they didn't do it you would have no recourse.  Your next best method would be email or fax, as it is a written record of correspondence, but I suggest good old fashioned snail mail letters as they have the most "personal touch" which can make a difference to the person reading it.

If you are committed to investing some time in writing/sending out goodwill letters, I strongly suggest using the Saturation Technique which you can read about in this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Using that method I've removed over 20 late payments from my credit reports.  It does take time and persistence, but nothing comes easy in life.

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kris10house wrote:

You should be filing disputes with the credit bureaus, not the creditors.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.