cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I lower my overall utilization from about 72% to about 38% how much will scores raise ?

tag
BM1990
New Contributor

If I lower my overall utilization from about 72% to about 38% how much will scores raise ?

I will be lowering my utilization from 72% to about 38%, should I expect a significant increase? Until my newest card reports, I currently have 4 cards. 3 of them will have a zero balance, while one is essentially maxed out.  When my brand new card (my 5th card)  finally reports on my credit profile, that will drop my utilization to 30%. Should I be expecting an increase? 

Experian: 671
Equifax: 666
Transunion: 673
4 REPLIES 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: If I lower my overall utilization from about 72% to about 38% how much will scores raise ?

Even under the best of circumstances the degree of impact on ones scores would be YMMV. But - while having your aggregate utilization cross a couple of threshold boundaries downward is going to be a net positive event, you will still have that maxed out card reporting so you shouldn't necessarily expect to see a huge jump up in scores. 

Having the new card report would also reset your average age of account and age of youngest account metrics downward which are also net negatives in the short term but the maxed out card would almost certainly have a much bigger impact.   Work on that and as you cross thresholds downward (~ 89/69/49/29/9%) your scores should improve noticably as the threshold crossings are reported, assuming you keep everything else on track.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: If I lower my overall utilization from about 72% to about 38% how much will scores raise ?

It may help some, but with individual utilization still maxed on one cars, the gains would be dampened. I'd work on still paying that card down quickly, as you don't want your other creditors or the one with whom you have this maxed card with to take adverse action. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 5
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

You will likely see an increase. How large? No one knows. Definitely focus on that maxed out card. That is a huge anchor to your scores.

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BM1990 wrote:

I will be lowering my utilization from 72% to about 38%, should I expect a significant increase? Until my newest card reports, I currently have 4 cards. 3 of them will have a zero balance, while one is essentially maxed out.  When my brand new card (my 5th card)  finally reports on my credit profile, that will drop my utilization to 30%. Should I be expecting an increase? 

Yes you should expect a good score increase, due to decrease in aggregate revolving utilization and decreases in individual account utilization. Try to keep each card at 28% or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.