cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you max a card then PIF on the next cycle; long term damage?

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: If you max a card then PIF on the next cycle; long term damage?

@webhopper wrote:
I had maxed my discover card. Its been open since 99. I had a BT promote that I took advantage of as well as a cruise through shopdiscover. I'm fairly certain discover isn't going to take AA on a card that's been open since 1999 with no late pays. Ive also maxed the card out in the past to use for reimbursed travel and lodging expenses.

The reason I asked is because I was browsing the auto forums and someone advised a guy to apply for an auto refi "as long as he hadn't had late payments or Max a card in the last year"

I thought they was odd but I wanted to bring the topic here to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

My discover was maxed march; PIF in may. Then maxed again at the end of may and PIF in July.

I knew I would be using the full limit on the card; so I called and asked for a CLI but they couldn't do it without a HP.

We had bought a new house in January; done a 4k septic repair in April; married in may; Alaskan cruise for three in June. I guess we've been living larger than life but we.actually had about 4 major life events within a 6 month time period. I'm glad things are semi Back to normal. We had the income and savings to support all of this activity; but you have to admit that maxing out a 4200 card and paying off completely twice is a little unusual

Hey, that's the best way in the world to use credit cards.

It probably does wonders for your "Capacity Index" FICO score. It's an indicator of your capacity to take on additional debt. Helps with CLIs and high limits opening new accounts. It's an important adjunct score to the basic FICO risk score.

And congratulations!

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.