Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of Public Record Over Time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impact of Public Record Over Time

My husband and I are preparing to apply for a mortgage in the next 1 -2 months if things go as planned with our FICO scores. Our goal is to ensure we both have a midscore over 640 and we are very close. According to the myFico Score Simulator, my current EQ score of 627 will go to a 657 next month, just for paying my bills on time. Obviously, this is a big jump...and there's only one thing I can see changing that might explain it. I have a satisfied judgment (Public Record) on my report for a $271 medical bill that will be exactly 6 years old next month. Do you think the aging of that Public Record is the reason the simulator is predicting such a nice increase? If I simulate paying my bills on time for 3 months or even 6, there is no additional increase. It seems to be looking at something specific to next month, and this is all I see. Thanks for any feedback!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Impact of Public Record Over Time

Time can be your best friend in several ways. Time will diminish the negative impact of any and all derogatories and it will also increase the positive impact of ontime payments, credit length history, AAoA, etc.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if there are certain milestone dates that are more significant than others? In my case, is the 6th anniversary of the public record factoring into the predicted bump?
Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if there are certain milestone dates that are more significant than others? In my case, is the 6th anniversary of the public record factoring into the predicted bump?

I can't answer that question. There are lots of anecdotal posts about improvement in scores after x or y occurred but since everyone's situation is different and constantly changing I'm not sure if there is a reliable way to estimate/guess what will happen on any particular anniversary date.

Perhaps someone smarter than I am can help you with this.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.