Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressive Score Drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impressive Score Drop

I'm impressed at the impact 9% can have, the three overlords really socked it to me for that one. I know that FICO has no memory of UTI  and I can boost my score by AZEOing them, but I didn't figure it'd be that bad.

I went from aggregate 1% UTI to 10% and across the board dropped an impressive 30-34 points. I was expecting 5-10, maybe up to 15 by going from paying early to just paying statement in full. Experian was the one that hit the hardest at 34 points, 749 to 715. Equifax decided it didn't like me in the 700s anymore and dropped me 30 points from 728 to 698.

Seeing how many points they dock me for a difference of 9% (highest individual is 20%, owe $200 on my US Bank out of $1000 total). I question how harsh actually running up close to 30% overall would be.

Not complaining or anything, I knew my scores would drop by letting more actually report, I just though it was impressive how much a meager 9% means to the scores. Smiley Tongue I might AZEO next month just to see that wild swing and note if I actually get those 30+ points back.

Other notes: No derogs, perfect payment history, always PIF, never late.

EDIT: **bleep** so many typos, I hate this keyboard.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Impressive Score Drop

Bummer. Heaven forbid we use any of our credit lines we get dinged ☹️

I found it odd Dh’s lost 7 points yeah not much , but went from 3% utilization to 4%, so no threshold but nothing else changed and I went line for line . Seems very silly to me .

Yes you can have high scores just don’t use those cards 😅
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to get high scores to get the cards, but you can't use 'em. No sir. If you don't use them, we'll take it away! But if you use them, your score look bad, so we can't give you more. Ahh, the catch 22 of credit.
Message 3 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Masterlink, how many out of your 4 cards reported balances?
If 2 or more, that can be contributing factor, in addition for crossing individual utilization threshold at 9% and aggregate at 9%, if going from AZEO.
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three reported, the other two report at 7% and 15%. So 2 individual 9+ and overall 9+ strikes.
Message 5 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm impressed at the impact 9% can have, the three overlords really socked it to me for that one. I know that FICO has no memory of UTI  and I can boost my score by AZEOing them, but I didn't figure it'd be that bad.

I went from aggregate 1% UTI to 10% and across the board dropped an impressive 30-34 points. I was expecting 5-10, maybe up to 15 by going from paying early to just paying statement in full. Experian was the one that hit the hardest at 34 points, 749 to 715. Equifax decided it didn't like me in the 700s anymore and dropped me 30 points from 728 to 698.

Seeing how many points they dock me for a difference of 9% (highest individual is 20%, owe $200 on my US Bank out of $1000 total). I question how harsh actually running up close to 30% overall would be.

Not complaining or anything, I knew my scores would drop by letting more actually report, I just though it was impressive how much a meager 9% means to the scores. Smiley Tongue I might AZEO next month just to see that wild swing and note if I actually get those 30+ points back.

EDIT: **bleep** so many typos, I hate this keyboard.

My experience has been very similar to yours: huge point swings with changes in aggregate utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 34
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is key.  I can discern 0 points  difference going from 16% to 5% UTI AZEO.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You have to get high scores to get the cards, but you can't use 'em. No sir. If you don't use them, we'll take it away! But if you use them, your score look bad, so we can't give you more. Ahh, the catch 22 of credit.

You can use them all you like, you just need to watch your reported balances/utilization since your profile isn't rock-solid yet if you're interested in maximizing your Fico scores.  Rem makes a good point above regarding your number of accounts with a balance.  You're taking at least a 5-10 point ding for rolling with 3/4 relative to 1/4, for example. 

Also, what are your age of accounts factors?  With a clean file and low utilization your scores are indicative of a young file IMO.  An older file would no doubt be in the upper 700's+, so I'm just curious where your [3] age of accounts factors currently stand.  

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fairly young overall. AoOA is 3 years, AAoA is 1 year, 3 months. AoYA is 7 months. Not really concerned about achieving the highest score possible currently, not aiming for any cards for at least a few months. I just thought I'd share some observations. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth noting that if you avoid any new accounts for another 5 months, once your AoYA reaches 12 months you should see some solid 15-20 point score gains on your Fico scores.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.