Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Mortgage Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Improving Mortgage Scores

I've been doing a ton of reading on how to improve my general credit scores and mortgage scores and appreciate all of the information that is provided on in this forum. We're planning to get a jumbo loan and want to have our mortgage scores as high as possible. My biggest hit is revolving utilization and I'm going to be paying off as much as possible in the next few months. My questions in regards to improving mortage scores specifically are:

1. I know the scoring thresholds for individual revolving utilization. Do you generally see a score increase when crossing a threshold for each card or is it based only on the card with the highest individual utilization? So if I have multiple cards, will decreasing utilization on each card past a threshold yield points or is it only based on the card with the highest individual utilization crossing a threshold?

2. Would I yield the most mortgage score points from decreasing individual card utilization or having more zero balance cards? I'm trying to decide if it will be more beneficial to pay the smaller balances first and get them to $0 vs. putting more money toward decreasing the high (89%) utilization on the higher balance cards. The plan is to get both done eventually, but what strategy would lead to the quickest and highest score increase?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Improving Mortgage Scores

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been doing a ton of reading on how to improve my general credit scores and mortgage scores and appreciate all of the information that is provided on in this forum. We're planning to get a jumbo loan and want to have our mortgage scores as high as possible. My biggest hit is revolving utilization and I'm going to be paying off as much as possible in the next few months. My questions in regards to improving mortage scores specifically are:

1. I know the scoring thresholds for individual revolving utilization. Do you generally see a score increase when crossing a threshold for each card or is it based only on the card with the highest individual utilization? So if I have multiple cards, will decreasing utilization on each card past a threshold yield points or is it only based on the card with the highest individual utilization crossing a threshold?

There are differences of opinion about this. My opinion is that the number does matter.

2. Would I yield the most mortgage score points from decreasing individual card utilization or having more zero balance cards? I'm trying to decide if it will be more beneficial to pay the smaller balances first and get them to $0 vs. putting more money toward decreasing the high (89%) utilization on the higher balance cards. The plan is to get both done eventually, but what strategy would lead to the quickest and highest score increase?

With mortgage scores getting the zero balances is more important than the dollar percentage utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 1. individual Revolving Utilization is based on the highest individually utilized Revolver.

2. You need both but the zeros are a mortgage Score's favorite.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous @SouthJamaica 

Thanks for the info. I'll pay off the smaller balances first to get as many cards to $0 as possible. Then I'll tackle the higher limit cards with high utilization. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.