cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive Installment Loan: Is This Hurting Me?

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Inactive Installment Loan: Is This Hurting Me?

I currently have a student loan, which has payments deferred until two years after I graduate. I obtained the loan in in September 2006, and it was reporting to the CRAs up until March of this year.

I assume it stopped reporting because of inactivity; payments being deferred and I wasn't making any payments to it?

In any case, I am wondering if I made a payment to make it an "active" account again, would it help my FICO score? There are no prepayment penalties, and if this does help my FICO I figure I could just make a payment once every 3 months to keep it active.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inactive Installment Loan: Is This Hurting Me?

good question.  i'm in the same exact situation as you.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sl's are required to update at least every 6 months.

I have heard of making payments rocking the boat-
Be sure to check with the servicer before you make payments to ensure they do NOT take it out of deferment.
Message 3 of 10
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Well it has been just about 6 months with no updates.

On another note, according to CreditSecure and my FAKO scores that I pulled, it lists as a Positive factor on all three reports the following:

"You have no open installment loans, such as auto loans, on your credit report. This positively influences your credit score because lenders feel you are more likely to pay your other bills without the fixed monthly payment attached to an installment loan."

I find it interesting that it doesn't appear to see my "inactive" student installment loan, not to mention the fact that it sees having no installment loans as a positive.

I thought having open installment loans was a good thing because it contributed to your mix of credit?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did too andy. And I've read it here in different threads that ccc's love to see a mix of credit instruments. I'll go with that. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 10-02-2007 02:58 PM
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@andyaycw wrote:
Well it has been just about 6 months with no updates.

On another note, according to CreditSecure and my FAKO scores that I pulled, it lists as a Positive factor on all three reports the following:

"You have no open installment loans, such as auto loans, on your credit report. This positively influences your credit score because lenders feel you are more likely to pay your other bills without the fixed monthly payment attached to an installment loan."

I find it interesting that it doesn't appear to see my "inactive" student installment loan, not to mention the fact that it sees having no installment loans as a positive.

I thought having open installment loans was a good thing because it contributed to your mix of credit?

I've noticed that on some FAKO scores, the comments are quite different from those on a FICO score pulled the same day. Some are just crazy-contradictory. The day that EX posted my $50K HELOC, which they did classify as mortgage/ installment, one comment was that my installment balances were too high to the overall installment credit. This loan posted with only $3K used out of $50K, which reduced the util on my installment category. I try to tune the FAKO comments out and go with the FICO comments.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I try to ignore anything FAKO related.

It has been more than 6 months now and still no updates to the student loan. Perhaps a payment to get it to report might make it an active account again?

Message 7 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

To add to the confusion of the open/closed account theme and mix of credit wouldn't you think having a closed car loan or three on your reports would count towards your "mix" of credit?
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry wrote: To add to the confusion of the open/closed account theme and mix of credit wouldn't you think having a closed car loan or three on your reports would count towards your "mix" of credit?
I think that the 10% for "mix of credit" has to be the most unexplained part of FICO scoring. ilovepizza seems to be going out there taking a bullet for the rest of us, and seeing what happens to his scores with some loans. Maybe we'll all be more enlightened then. But yes, I would think that the car loans, open or closed would help. go figure
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
cantretire
Contributor

My gov't student loans are in forebearance.   I asked on this site a month or so ago and was told that it doesn't lower your score to have the loan stalled.  I'm curious to know what happens when we start to pay them.  What effect does that have on FICO - does anyone know?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.