Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing autoloan droped Fico8 score by 45

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Installing autoloan droped Fico8 score by 45

I recently installed an autoloan and my Fico8 score dropped dramatically by 45! This drop should have two components: adding a new account and having loan balance (I excluded the HP impacts because they got monitored before installing the loan). I do not keep balance on credit cards and I prefer to maximize the Fico8 score. No negative.

I could not find any simulator to describe each component (e.g. Experina). Can somebody help to estimate my Fico score after e.g. 3-4 months of loan payment (the loan is for 5 years)? How long should I wait to heal the Fico8 score to be <10 point away from my initial score? Shall I consider paying down some parts of the autoloan to reduce its balance, if I potentially need a high Fico8 score urgently?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installing autoloan droped Fico8 score by 45

@xenon3030 wrote:

I recently installed an autoloan and my Fico8 score dropped dramatically by 45! This drop should have two components: adding a new account and having loan balance (I excluded the HP impacts because they got monitored before installing the loan). I do not keep balance on credit cards and I prefer to maximize the Fico8 score. No negative.

I could not find any simulator to describe each component (e.g. Experina). Can somebody help to estimate my Fico score after e.g. 3-4 months of loan payment (the loan is for 5 years)? How long should I wait to heal the Fico8 score to be <10 point away from my initial score? Shall I consider paying down some parts of the autoloan to reduce its balance, if I potentially need a high Fico8 score urgently?

There is a difference between carrying a balance and reporting a balance.  Do you have any reported balance on any of your cards?

Message 2 of 6
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

~2-3 cards report very low balances every month.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 6
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

Has the loan been paid down at all? How much of the loan amount is still owed? Similar to revolving utilization, you will be penalized for high loan balances. To maximize, you would pay down to under 10%. But once completely paid, you will lose points if you have no other installments.

That's my understanding. Hope others will correct or offer better specifics.

FICO (12/22): EX8 838. TU8 826. EQ9 837.
Profile: Clean/thick/aged/new. Revolvers: 7 open, 1 closed. 1 Install.
AoOA/RA 20y. AAoA 4.5y. AoYA/RA 6m. TCL $128.3K.
Message 4 of 6
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Adding a new account seems to result ~20 point drop in Fico8 score (I opened a new credit card some months ago and I tracked the score drop; experimental data and not a simulation). I assume that there should be no difference between opening a new account as credit card, loan or mortage, to check the impact of new account. The rest of 25 point drop because of the new loan account should be due to the high loan balance after the first payment (>90% utilization).

I expect the impact of new account would get mitigated partially within ~5-6 monts and its impact would get healed completely after a year (~20 point recvery). Recovering the rest of the 25 points would require reducing the loan percentrage ultilization.

Message 5 of 6
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

I believe the new account penalty is more nuanced than that. My understanding is that you would get penalized for the first new account which causes a scorecard reassignment. Subsequent new accounts add lesser penalty because you are already on the new account scorecard, until your youngest ages past 12 mo. You will acquire penalty for the inquiry and if the subsequent acct causes your average age to drop past a threshold. It would also depend on other factors, as aged and thick profiles are less impacted by changes.

edit: I'm probably a little wrong on this. See this thread by Birdman7 for much better info on how youngest account impacts score:

General Scoring Primer and Version 8 Master Thread, pub.5.17.20 

FICO (12/22): EX8 838. TU8 826. EQ9 837.
Profile: Clean/thick/aged/new. Revolvers: 7 open, 1 closed. 1 Install.
AoOA/RA 20y. AAoA 4.5y. AoYA/RA 6m. TCL $128.3K.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.