Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loan Payoff

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Installment Loan Payoff

Here is my question for when I payoff my personal loan. Will the score drop or stay the same for the next few months? In other words will  a recent closed account within a few months or even a year of doing so keep the same score or will it drop the points compared to having a five percent low utilization. If there is any member who tracked the score right before payoff and what the result was immediately or within a few months after payoff.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Installment Loan Payoff

@CreditBob wrote:

Here is my question for when I payoff my personal loan. Will the score drop or stay the same for the next few months? In other words will  a recent closed account within a few months or even a year of doing so keep the same score or will it drop the points compared to having a five percent low utilization. If there is any member who tracked the score right before payoff and what the result was immediately or within a few months after payoff.

If it's your only open installment loan, and you presently are at 5% of the original loan amount, yes paying it down to zero will ding some of your scores -- the FICO 8 scores. Your mortgage scores will not be affected much, if at all. As to the number of points, that is very profile-specific, but in my case it cost me around 25 points as I recall.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment Loan Payoff

@CreditBob wrote:

It all depends on when it reports as closed.  Once it reports as closed, your FICO score will reflect that new CR information.  It's a moment in time change; it will happen all at once.  Your score(s) will stay the same until the loan reports closed, then they'll change.  It will be a black and white change with no gray areas in between.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.