cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loan: Points Gained After Owing Less than 8.9% and Points Loss After Paying It Off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment Loan: Points Gained After Owing Less than 8.9% and Points Loss After Paying It Off?

In your experience how much points did you gain when paying it down to or past the 8.9% and how much points did you lose when finish paying it off? 

I am in the process of building my credit. I started with taking out a $1,500 loan from my CU. I thought it was a good place to start since you were approved as long as you were a member for a certain amount of time and had direct deposit. The interest rate was 17.700 (Smiley Indifferent) and the payment is about $33 a week. The term was from October 2019 to October 2020 (my final payment being 10/16 of this year). 

I've been reading 8.9% and you get a boost so I decided to pay it down it a little under 8.9%. On July 17th I still owed $379.47 so I made a big payment on 21st; bringing it down to $124.21(which should reflect on my next credit report update. 

The bank automatic system was still pulling my weekly amount of $33. The balance currently is $92.66 and the next payment isn't supposed to be until 9/25/20.  I spoke with the loan officer and she advised me to continue to pay it off to save me on the interest.  She said the interest rate is calculated by the day. If I am going to be saving a couple of dollars I would rather just ride out the full term and keep the account open as long as possible. 

I am trying to determine how many points I will lose if I do pay it off early? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Installment Loan: Points Gained After Owing Less than 8.9% and Points Loss After Paying It Off?

@Anonymous wrote:

In your experience how much points did you gain when paying it down to or past the 8.9% and how much points did you lose when finish paying it off? 

I am in the process of building my credit. I started with taking out a $1,500 loan from my CU. I thought it was a good place to start since you were approved as long as you were a member for a certain amount of time and had direct deposit. The interest rate was 17.700 (Smiley Indifferent) and the payment is about $33 a week. The term was from October 2019 to October 2020 (my final payment being 10/16 of this year). 

I've been reading 8.9% and you get a boost so I decided to pay it down it a little under 8.9%. On July 17th I still owed $379.47 so I made a big payment on 21st; bringing it down to $124.21(which should reflect on my next credit report update. 

The bank automatic system was still pulling my weekly amount of $33. The balance currently is $92.66 and the next payment isn't supposed to be until 9/25/20.  I spoke with the loan officer and she advised me to continue to pay it off to save me on the interest.  She said the interest rate is calculated by the day. If I am going to be saving a couple of dollars I would rather just ride out the full term and keep the account open as long as possible. 

I am trying to determine how many points I will lose if I do pay it off early? 

In my case it was around 30 points, in both directions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment Loan: Points Gained After Owing Less than 8.9% and Points Loss After Paying It Off?

Thank you @SouthJamaica  for your response. That's quite a hit for a person like me lol

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you @SouthJamaica  for your response. That's quite a hit for a person like me lol

It was quite a hit for a person like me too. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah what points did you see when you paid it under 9%? Or have you yet?
Message 5 of 7
ChemE_Bear
Regular Contributor

I gained 20 points on Experian (only daily report I have) going from 745 to 765 when my auto loan went under 9%.  When that loan dropped off and I had no installment loans (CC utilization also went to 12% from under 9%), it fell to 726.  Adding back two installment loans at high (99% utilization SLs) and bringing my CC utilization back to 2% I'm only back up to 734.

Fico8 1/20:
Fico8 02/22:
Fico8 9/23:
AU:
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

I gained 20 points on Experian (only daily report I have) going from 745 to 765 when my auto loan went under 9%.  When that loan dropped off and I had no installment loans (CC utilization also went to 12% from under 9%), it fell to 726.  Adding back two installment loans at high (99% utilization SLs) and bringing my CC utilization back to 2% I'm only back up to 734.

@ChemE_Bear makes perfect sense you got about 10 points around 65% you got 20 more at 9% and you lost 8 to 10 points for the aggregate threshold and then got them back, seems about right. 👍

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.