Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EQ removing AU's from CR?

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Is EQ removing AU's from CR?

I have my 3 cards, tloc and a dh's Lowes, 1 chase (unicorn) reporting.  All the other AU cards have disappeared, they're not in my closed accts. either. 

So why didn't that affect my score?  Did the AU's not count towards anything, anyway?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is EQ removing AU's from CR?

Where are you viewing your CR?
Message 2 of 34
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous  Equifax

Message 3 of 34
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Hi there.

I am actually experiencing the same thing with my Experian report when I view it on Experian.com. Started like a month ago. Before, they would show UTI with AU accounts and another one without the AU accounts. Now they only show the UTI without the 2 open, Chase AU accounts I have.

I already had plans to close them and have them removed from my reports through Chase, to help my 5/24 in preparation for Chase app early next year when 2 of my accounts would age out but it's frustrating all the same since the cards have a combined limit of $9.8k with 0% balance on each one.

Wonder if this is a new FICO thing or just an aberration.

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

LauraC I assume you’re talking about myEquifax.com?

Even if they are not displaying on the summary software, that does not mean the algorithm is not taking them into account. They have been trying to deemphasize AU account for a while. The only way to determine whether or not they count on your profile is basically to do an efficacy test.

They either count or they don’t and had there been any recent changes changing that I’m sure it would be big news.

Are you actually drilling down into the account section and not seeing them? Or are you only looking at the summaries? Because if they are in fact not under accounts, then you may want to find out why, but if there was no score change there’s a chance they were never counting to begin with.

But if they are from DH and you share the same address I see no reason why they should not be counting.
Message 5 of 34
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
LauraC I assume you’re talking about myEquifax.com? yes

Even if they are not displaying on the summary software, that does not mean the algorithm is not taking them into account. They have been trying to deemphasize AU account for a while.  I thought I read that? That's why I was asking.  Here's what I think has happened.  I terminated my responsibility for a few months, ended up taking a big score hit so I put myself back on.  My tl was added back, score rebound, but now it's gone again; completely.

Message 6 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Actually, EQ has removed AU accounts for some in the past 

I think @K-in-Boston  was one of them. 

Once they are removed, they are not being taken into account. With EQ this has nothing to do with user interface. 

The real mystery is what triggers removal. 

Message 7 of 34
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

That makes sense and I think my wishy-washiness may have triggered this.  

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you removed it and you took the score ding and then you put yourself back on and recovered the points, then you know it was helping you. And you should know how many points you lost and gained since you removed it and re-instituted it, correct?

That being said, if it was removed, you would’ve suffered that score ding again because the algorithm would have to again calculate your score without the benefit of that account. So you should know whether or not it was removed by whether or not you suffered that ding again.

You didn’t answer my question whether it was just removed from the summary or whether it was also removed from the accounts section.

Remedios oh I fully believe EQ would haphazardly remove accounts and do any number of ungodly things at any given time for no given reason. I’m simply questioning whether or not it was actually removed or whether it was removed from the summary. If it was only removed from the summary, it may still be on her report and she may still be benefiting from it.
Message 9 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

Actually, EQ has removed AU accounts for some in the past 

I think @K-in-Boston  was one of them. 

Once they are removed, they are not being taken into account. With EQ this has nothing to do with user interface. 

Correct.  I had to go back and find the thread I started in March 2018.  It first began happening to me in November 2017 and is still going on with accounts reappearing and disappearing again.  The thread has a lot more detail of what happened and timelines up to that point, but I'll try to summarize here.  Unlike @GApeachy I was never removed from the accounts and am still an AU on all of them.  They are all open, active accounts.

Not counting my work Amex Plat Biz (which doesn't show on EQ, EX, or TU), I am an AU on the following 8 cards. We share the same surname and address for years, and have several joint accounts (mortgages, auto loans, 1 joint CC) that always reported.

03/1994 Chase Freedom Unlimited $19,400

01/1995 Discover it $41,500

11/1996 Citi Best Buy $10,000

12/1999 Capital One Quicksilver $17,000

10/2001 Bank of America (an Alumni card) $99,900

04/2004 Citi Double Cash $31,600

03/2017 Amex EveryDay $50,000

11/2017 Chase Sapphire Preferred $27,000

Right now, only the Discover, CapOne, BOA, and Amex are showing on my EQ, with the 25+ year CFU missing, along with the Best Buy, Double Cash, and CSP.  Every month, more disappear while others might come back.  It's been happening for almost 2 years now, and while she is an AU on 10 of my open accounts, none have ever disappeared from her reports.  At any given point there's $100k to just shy of $300k (when all disappear) of available revolving credit missing from my reports.

It used to cause havoc with my EQ scores when I had much higher overall utilization and was apping left and right for new cards.  With util pretty much under control these days, there are no huge swings caused by the cards and EQ has been my highest for about 6 months now. 

The interesting thing is that when all of those oldest cards disappear, the oldest open cards become Target and 3 of my Amex cards all opened in 2002 (I believe I still have 4 or 5 closed accounts with 2000/2001 dates on my reports, but all of my 90s cards have long since fallen off), but even with the slight AAoA ding and the more significant age of oldest account drop - my EQ scores actually go up when that happens.  In fact, my all-time high score of 833 was on EQ a few months ago when ALL of the AU cards were missing.  My estimation is that it's likely due to me having a thick profile for someone only showing 19 years of credit history still on my reports vs 25+.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.