cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a 800+ score with a derogatory account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to have a 800+ score with a derogatory account?

I checked my score on experian.com and it's like 810.   How's that possible?  I have a charged off 10k loan from from 2 years ago that shows as closed and late multiple times.   Other than that everything is excellent,  have 1% utilization (out of 70k in available credit) 11 years history and no other lates.

Is the score on experian completely off?  Thought you had to have flawless payment history to be in the 800s.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it possible to have a 800+ score with a derogatory account?

Have you tried disputing it with Experian?
Message 2 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked my score on experian.com and it's like 810.   How's that possible?  I have a charged off 10k loan from from 2 years ago that shows as closed and late multiple times.   Other than that everything is excellent,  have 1% utilization (out of 70k in available credit) 11 years history and no other lates.

Is the score on experian completely off?  Thought you had to have flawless payment history to be in the 800s.

My understanding is no. A major derog (90+ late, collections, etc) throws someone into a bucket where the 760s are about as high as one gets. I've been floating in the 755-765 range for a few years now, and there's not much I can do to push it higher. My inquiries into it led to me being told that as long as there's major derogs on my report, that's about as high as I'll get.

Once they fall off, it's quite possible my score will jump overnight into the 840s.

A minor derog is another matter. If it's a couple of 30 day lates, those usually fade into harmlessness after a few years.

Message 3 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you tried disputing it with Experian?

The problem is one cannot dispute what isn't incorrect. It's a bit of a hail mary hoping that the creditor will take it off, but most will not, especially with something as serious as a charge-off. In such a case, this would just result in someone having a dispute and a derog on their report.

A smarter play would be to ask for a goodwill adjustment. Again, on the major derogs they're usually pretty unwilling to be nice, but at least this one there's no harm in trying.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was talking about the score.  Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the account report to Experian?

Message 6 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As others have said, is the account showing up on your Experian CRA report? If yes, is the account in dispute?

Experian has a couple of their own scores namely plus score and national equivalency score in addition to reporting Fico scores. You can also get a VantageScore 3.0 through Experian. What specifically is the model Experian is using for your score?

Note: Some Fico scores (bankcard enhanced for example) do go to 900.

If the derog counts and is on your file a couple that may not inhibit reaching 800 are an aged 30 day late (Fico 8 and Fico 9) and a paid collection (Fico 9). Well - I also understand certain tax liens can no longer count against someone's Fico score as of earlier this year.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

If the derog counts and is on your file a couple that may not inhibit reaching 800 are an aged 30 day late (Fico 8 and Fico 9) and a paid collection (Fico 9). Well - I also understand certain tax liens can no longer count against someone's Fico score as of earlier this year.

Also a collection (paid or unpaid) under $99 for FICO 8.  You can have an 850 score with that derog.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.