Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a rule-of-thumb for AAoA?

tag
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Is there a rule-of-thumb for AAoA?

I went on an open close spree, which I know killed my AAoA. I'm currently at 3yrs 7months according to EQ. I'm now getting messages that I'm "new to credit". Is there a rule of thumb for AAoA or a "range" to be in to pass the "new to credit" message? I'm currently in the garden for about 2 years and some accounts just weren't beneficial for my long term credit growth so I closed them. How does AAoA effect credit scoring? Any suggestions or advice. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is there a rule-of-thumb for AAoA?

Closed cards count the same as open. Closed will fall off your reports up to 10yrs or sooner. Then no longer count. AAoA's more than 2 yrs helps scores. More than 5yrs even more. Less than 2 yrs doesnt help much at all. Congrats on your approvals. Garden time!

Where you seeing EQ's comment?

Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sznthescore wrote:

I went on an open close spree, which I know killed my AAoA. I'm currently at 3yrs 7months according to EQ. I'm now getting messages that I'm "new to credit". Is there a rule of thumb for AAoA or a "range" to be in to pass the "new to credit" message? I'm currently in the garden for about 2 years and some accounts just weren't beneficial for my long term credit growth so I closed them. How does AAoA effect credit scoring? Any suggestions or advice. 

1.  Closing an account doesn't affect your AAoA until the closed account drops off of your credit reports, which is usually many years down the road.

2.  Opening an account lowers your AAoA.

3.  There are some thresholds, but you're usually considered new until the AAoA climbs to 8 or 9 years.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 10
sznthescore
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1  I saw it in my online banking credit monitoring services.

REBUILDER CARDS

Message 4 of 10
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think you can't get to 850 until AAoA > 7.5 years, before that there are added breakpoints where your score increases.

Message 5 of 10
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@sznthescore wrote:

Your bank monitoring service must be using Vantage scoring.   Vantage only counts open accounts, but since almost nobody uses Vantage scores to approve credit, it is largely irrelevant.   If you pull a FICO credit report score you will see that all accounts, open and closed, count. towards AAoA.    As stated, only opening new accounts can lower your FICO average age.

Message 6 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica, Does that count if you have 120 CC's reporting? (80+ open and 40 closed)Smiley Very Happy

BTW; You gotta Heart Citi ....reported 17 years after closure. due to no activity. (Citi Gold Visa)

Reported in total for 27 years!  ..(helped with AASmiley SurprisedA for a long time)

Also Citi is still reporting a closed acct. as open on EQSmiley Tongue

Was a "Citi Simplicity card,"  that I closed and re-allocated the CL into my Citi DC card.

(after the 3rd try & escalating to a supervisor) ..They no longer will do this.

outlier situation.

Three Citi cards reporting as open,

on EQ ..even though I only have two actual open cards.

The closed acct. -> reporting as open.

(Click image to enlarge)(Click image to enlarge)

Message 7 of 10
sznthescore
Established Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@sznthescore wrote:

Your bank monitoring service must be using Vantage scoring.   Vantage only counts open accounts, but since almost nobody uses Vantage scores to approve credit, it is largely irrelevant.   If you pull a FICO credit report score you will see that all accounts, open and closed, count. towards AAoA.    As stated, only opening new accounts can lower your FICO average age.

No. It clearly states Average Age of Account. Now.... CreditKarma on the other hand says, 5 years 2 months which uses average age of open acounts and Vantage 3.0 scoring model.

REBUILDER CARDS

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica, Does that count if you have 120 CC's reporting? (80+ open and 40 closed)Smiley Very Happy

No. When one reaches your elevated status one becomes immune to such trivial matters Smiley Happy

BTW; You gotta Heart Citi ....reported 17 years after closure. due to no activity. (Citi Gold Visa)

Reported in total for 27 years!  ..(helped with AASmiley SurprisedA for a long time)

They couldn't bear the thought of losing that account; they so valued your relationship that they held on to the memory as long as they could.

Also Citi is still reporting a closed acct. as open on EQSmiley Tongue

Was a "Citi Simplicity card,"  that I closed and re-allocated the CL into my Citi DC card.

(after the 3rd try & escalating to a supervisor) ..They no longer will do this.

outlier situation.

Don't confuse the newer credit students Smiley Happy

Three Citi cards reporting as open,

on EQ ..even though I only have two actual open cards.

The closed acct. -> reporting as open.

(Click image to enlarge)(Click image to enlarge)

They just can't bear to let go.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica, I laughed so hard, i almost fell off my chair. That was great. Made my day!

"Don't confuse the newer credit students"Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.