Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lender Inquiry Impact

tag
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

Lender Inquiry Impact

I have 6 HP from mortgage shopping in 2020 between 10/26 and 11/17.  I guess they will be on for 2 years? I've heard different answers on how long the window is open to be counted as one inquiry. Wondering how this will affect card shopping in the short term future.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Lender Inquiry Impact

Inquiries stay on your report for two years, yes, but they become unscoreable after one year.  The de-dup window for inquiry scoring is 45 days on all currently used FICO versions except EX2, where it's 14 days, so that's the only place yours will be scored as more than one.  Lenders consider number of inquiries independently of their scoring impact, so it's possible the mortgage inquiries could affect a cc app, depending on how many inquiries you have total and what the rest of your profile is like.  But if a UW algo denies you for that reason you could reach out to recon if the lender has it.

Message 2 of 5
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

Inquiries stay on your report for two years, yes, but they become unscoreable after one year.  The de-dup window for inquiry scoring is 45 days on all currently used FICO versions except EX2, where it's 14 days, so that's the only place yours will be scored as more than one.  Lenders consider number of inquiries independently of their scoring impact, so it's possible the mortgage inquiries could affect a cc app, depending on how many inquiries you have total and what the rest of your profile is like.  But if a UW algo denies you for that reason you could reach out to recon if the lender has it.

Thank you for the thorough explanation! I've never tried to get a recon on any previous denials. Will have to keep that in mind.

Message 3 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@PandaGirl77 wrote:

@Slabenstein wrote:

Thank you for the thorough explanation! I've never tried to get a recon on any previous denials. Will have to keep that in mind.

There's a caviat of them being grouped within the 14 day or 45 day window. They won't count as multiple HP, only if coded the same. Which unfortunately isn't always the case. If you recon, convey all the HP which were mortgage HP.

Message 4 of 5
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Thanks @Slabenstein didn't know that the HP is unscoreable after a year!

That helps as we started exactly last year looking for a house but then they tightened up loan requirments (720+) on conventional and did away with FHA loans temporarily.

This year a year later, we will be starting again but with better terms and easier qualifications...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.