Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk dirty (scorecards)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let's talk dirty (scorecards)

"Having an installment loan reporting <9% is supposed to help even dirty scorecards.  Is there any benefit over 9?  For example, is an installment loan at 29% better for FICO-8 than an installment loan at 90%?"

I saw movement when installment loan went below 90% and 50% on a dirty scorecard. I'm not 100% on the threshold being the factor because since it was a 1 year loan the account was also aging at that rate.

Also recently I have been tracking CC utilization below 8.9% on a dirty scorecard. I see movement (just a few points) at 5%, 4%, and 3% on Experian and 4%, on TU. Nothing earth shattering, just more a curiosity.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

It's really no secret. Score card segmentation search should yield numerous threads

Here is first one  that showed up for me 

That's one I already read.  Since it's more than 2 years old, there's been a lot more figured out since then.  One example is that a single 60D, regardless of age, puts you on a dirty card.

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aspireto850 wrote:

@ BallBounces,

Please share what you found.

Thanks.

The number of scorecards was recently discussed in a thread I started:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Are-the-five-factors-the-same-on-all-sco...

The AU scorecards mentioned in the PDF were never implemented, so we are left with the 8 + 4.

There's also older threads discussing the 8 + 4.

Message 13 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

When I first found that installment ratios or utilization (whatever you wish to call it) mattered for FICO 8, I was in a dirty scorecard at the time with a 60D, collection, and tax lien.

The highest FICO 8 score I've seen reported was a 90D late at a 792; they had an 850 file otherwise though it was amazingly strong and the late was nearly 7 years old.

I'm sitting with a 60D late at 772 on TU FICO 4 which to me is a stupidly high score for the serious deliquency scorecard.  My FICO 8 there is currently 760 without inquiries, sadly I don't have additional reason codes there but I don't know that there's anything materially wrong with it other than the lates and not enough credit history to drive it higher.

There are multiple derog scorecards though, public record and public record + deliquency are both lower than deliquency only to my knowledge in terms of max scoring.  I don't think it's possible to hit 770 with a BK or collection for example on any FICO algorithm other than maybe FICO 9... my TU FICO 9 is 795 now and that's still in the recent late category too according to the reason codes.  Also FICO 9 breaks out revolving history length in the reason codes even for the Classic score: I don't think that exists at all in FICO 4/8 except for FICO 8 BC (Bankcard industry option) in the dirty scorecards.  Dirty = derogatory in my definition aka not the top 8 pretty(ish) scorecards.

Recent late is at least 18 months apparently since I picked it up April 2018 and it's still on there as of today 11/1/19.  I'm guessing that might hang out till the 2 year mark.

        
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

The highest FICO 8 score I've seen reported was a 90D late at a 792; they had an 850 file otherwise though it was amazingly strong and the late was nearly 7 years old.

I'm sitting with a 60D late at 772 on TU FICO 4 which to me is a stupidly high score for the serious deliquency scorecard.  My FICO 8 there is currently 760 without inquiries, sadly I don't have additional reason codes there but I don't know that there's anything materially wrong with it other than the lates and not enough credit history to drive it higher.

There are multiple derog scorecards though, public record and public record + deliquency are both lower than deliquency only to my knowledge in terms of max scoring.  I don't think it's possible to hit 770 with a BK or collection for example on any FICO algorithm other than maybe FICO 9... my TU FICO 9 is 795 now and that's still in the recent late category too according to the reason codes.  Also FICO 9 breaks out revolving history length in the reason codes even for the Classic score: I don't think that exists at all in FICO 4/8 except for FICO 8 BC (Bankcard industry option) in the dirty scorecards.  Dirty = derogatory in my definition aka not the top 8 pretty(ish) scorecards.

Recent late is at least 18 months apparently since I picked it up April 2018 and it's still on there as of today 11/1/19.  I'm guessing that might hang out till the 2 year mark.

792 is quite impressive for a dirty card, though still below the 800 you said last year you thought was impossible.

Do you think bankruptcies are a dirty segmentation factor distinct from other public records (collections & tax leins)?  If so, that would account for 4 cards. i.e.:

1. no bankruptcy or public record - max 792

2. public record - max 760-770?

3. bankruptcy - max 750?

4. bankrupcy & public record - max ?

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"Having an installment loan reporting <9% is supposed to help even dirty scorecards.  Is there any benefit over 9?  For example, is an installment loan at 29% better for FICO-8 than an installment loan at 90%?"

I saw movement when installment loan went below 90% and 50% on a dirty scorecard. I'm not 100% on the threshold being the factor because since it was a 1 year loan the account was also aging at that rate.

Interesting.  Was your file thin, making the impact on the AAoA significant?

Message 16 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

792 is quite impressive for a dirty card, though still below the 800 you said last year you thought was impossible.

Do you think bankruptcies are a dirty segmentation factor distinct from other public records (collections & tax leins)?  If so, that would account for 4 cards. i.e.:

3. bankruptcy - max 750?

I don't think the public record and BK scorecards are separate.  BK / Collections / tax liens (when they were a thing) / judgements / etc are all about the same I think, they certainly score similarly and the reason codes are supiciously alike to my knowledge.

As far as I know for certain there's a delinquency and a public record scorecards.

I think they might get split based on age, but I misspoke a little earlier it's possible that a deliquency is just a modifier on the public record scorecard, I'm not 100% sure that it's an additional segmentation device when we're talking FICO 8.

We just don't really know, it's like the "recent late" bit which is still around after 18 months everywhere on TU.  That might be a split between recent late and old late, and might be a simlar between recent PR and old PR, at least for FICO 8.

I had an interesting datapoint from a few years ago:  with a tax lien on EQ already that was aged, I got another one tacked on brand spanking new.  EQ FICO 8 moved around 40 points south, but EQ FICO 5 only moved 5 points.

As a result I don't think the age metrics are quite the same between the two, namely I think the older FICO 04 and prior models may not really factor age at all for PR's, but FICO 8 does.  When that tax lien came off (filed in error, well sort of, I'd actually already paid it before it was filed) both scores rebounded to the prior values.

We just don't have great info as to how things are split.

        
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read by TT for FICO 8 the 4 dirties are split into 2 public record cards and 2 delinquency cards. They are further segmented by age of PR/baddie.
Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thing about dirty cards is you can open cards without resetting AoYA.

Morpho I personally believe there are awards potentially at 3 and 6 months of age of a loan, irrespective of B/L%. If you did get points for dropping anywhere above 8.9%, it would be trivial, IMHO.
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

3. bankruptcy - max 750?

I don't think the public record and BK scorecards are separate.  BK / Collections / tax liens (when they were a thing) / judgements / etc are all about the same I think, they certainly score similarly and the reason codes are supiciously alike to my knowledge.

As far as I know for certain there's a delinquency and a public record scorecards.

I think it's clear that the two derogatory scorecards prior to FICO08 were public record (including BK) and major delinquency.

One of the FICO08 scorcard diagrams I saw refers to bankruptcy, which is one reason why I think one of the four is for BK, and another for less sever public records like collections and judgements.  I was re-reading some old threads and found this quote from T_T:

"foreclosures, short sales and bankruptcy are almost certainly a different scorecard than collections and tax liens."

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Buckets/m-p/5111644/highlight/true#M132391

I've never seen a reported score over 750 with a bankruptcy, whereas there are isolated reports of 760-770 with collections or tax leins.  So I'm reasonably confident there's a scorecard for the worst public records like bankruptcies, and a separate one for just "minor" public records like collections, I'm only guessing that there might be one for bankruptcies without other public records.  In fact, the more I think about it, there's not much reason to have separate scorecards for BK with other public records and one for BK without public records.

To summarize, 3 of the 4 derog cards are:

1. no public records of any kind

2. minor public records (collections & judgments)

3. major public records (bankruptcy & foreclosure)

The top theory for the fourth scorecard seems to be age related, meaning an aged major derog would put you on the best scorecard.  I'm pretty sure an aged BK doesn't matter.  An aged 60-120D would put you on that scorecard, and maybe an aged collection.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.